Minnesota Babies
Options

Midwives...

...how did you pick one?  I delivered ds several years ago in Rochester and went through the midwives @ Mayo.  My cousin recommended her midwife and I was very happy.  Now we live in St. Paul and are going to start ttc again next month. I need to have a midwife soon, God willing.  I found all the resources for finding midwives but, how do I pick one?  I don't know anyone who used a midwife in the twin cities.  Ideas?  I assume I'll have to interview some but, you can only find out so much from an interview.  TIA.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Midwives...

• Options
    I go to Generations Womens Health in Shoreview/Roseville area and there are 4 midwives there. At each appointment you see a different midwife, because depending on who's on call when you deliver you would have one of the 4 midwives. My friend used the midwives at Healtheast and they had the same system set up where you don't pick a midwife but rotate through the 4 or so that are there and then definitely have one of those midwives when you deliver. I liked this option rather than having an Ob/Gyn but then having the possibility that they wouldn't be on call when I delivered and having a doctor I hadn't met before. I love Generations Womens Health. It's a smaller clinic which I like because you don't feel like you are just a number but they really know you. There is a nurse there named Joanie that is amazing. I see her everytime I go to get bloodwork, bp, urine and she is so helpful. Recently, I was at the clinic because I had some spotting and they got me in right away that day, had an ultrasound on site, and were amazing with calling me every couple days to follow up. If I remember correctly I think Healtheast used to offer a "meet the midwives" night but like I said if you are pregnant you would be rotating through the midwives at the clinic anyway. I would also decide which hospital you want to deliver at and pick a clinic with midwives that delivers at that hospital. Good luck!

Photo taken at 16 months old
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We picked ours after interviewing their philosophy of birth and how they typically do things. We wanted someone who had the same views of how a birth could go and went with them. We are going with the MWs at 'North Metro Midwives' and they're based out of a clinic. I know they deliver at North Memorial in Robbinsdale, but they may do a hospital in St. Paul. Not too sure...

Either way, you should ultimately pick someone you trust will help you get the birth you'd like as best as they can (of course, keep an open mind for the unexpected, but even then trust is SO important)! The interviews helped for us... I try to look for how personable they are, too. I'm an open, kind of loud girl, so I want someone who can go with the flow with me when I'm in labor and "keep it real" with me and my DH when it comes to what we need to do.?

Trust your gut!?

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I see the midwives at HealthEast Macalester Groveland Clinic on Snelling Ave. in St. Paul.  The clinic is moving to Grand Ave. sometime this winter.  I have raved and raved about them and St. Joseph's, where they deliver, all over this board  - sorry, I can't seem to find the posts with the search function.  They do have a "Meet the Midwives" night a few times a year, which I recommend.  (Only a slight error in the first response...you will deliver with which ever HealthEast midwife is on call from any of the clinics, not necessarily one from your specific clinic.  In fact the midwife who delivered DD only does deliveries, she doesn't practice at any clinic.  There aren't enough words to describe how awesome she was!)  Anyway, I really like HealthEast's philosophy in general.  My regular family physician for the past 12 years has been at that clinic and now DD goes to her as well.  We also really liked their various pre-natal classes...we took Hypnobirthing, breastfeeding and caring for your newborn.
  • Options
    I love North Metro Midwives. They have been great for my three births and I am using them again for the fourth. I enjoy my appointments and they really seem to listen to me. Their number is 763-520-2211. They have three midwives who will see you. I love the fact that the clinic is owned by a midwife.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"