Cincinnati Babies

Brushing teeth

My DD is obsessed with her toothbrush.  This is a new thing for me, as I had to physically hold DS down to brush his teeth until he was 6 and still have to remind him now.  We cannot leave the toothbrush in plain sight because she wants to brush her teeth as soon as she sees it.  We use the infant tooth gel stuff, and she will not settle for just a wet brush.  It must have her gel on it.  And she wants to "brush" her own teeth instead of letting us help. 

I can't find any info on this, so I am going to ask a stupid question:  Is it possible to let them brush too much?  I know that infant gel is supposedly harmless, but it *is* another chemical to expose her to.  I almost want to leave the brush out where she can see it because I think this might build a great habit and I will get to avoid the struggle I had (and still have) with DS.  Thoughts?  When do we switch over to toddler toothpaste?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Brushing teeth

• I think keeping brushing a positive thing will encourage her to brush her teeth.  If it were me, I'd put it slightly out of view.  That way brushing is still an exciting thing, and not something she gets to see/do all the time...

I hope that kind-of helps and answers your ?.  :)

• Brandon is obsessed with the toothpaste tube.  Doesn't care for the brush but will tolerate getting them brushed, but if he gets ahold of the tube he'll put it in his mouth and chew on it (I really need to get a sophie).  We just keep the tube out of sight, and that seems to help.  I'm with linzpinz- I'd keep the teeth brushing thing positive for now.  I think they make toddler training toothbrushes.  Maybe worth looking into and see if you can teach her to do it herself?  She'd probably love it.  (then finish to make sure she got it all?)
  • Loading the player...
  • Nora did this at your DD's age and still goes through days where she wants to constantly brush. I'm sure the infant gel is safe although I'm sure you wouldn't want her eating a tube of it every day. Nora would if I let her. :-)

I compromised by putting a microscopic dab of my all natural (no fluoride) toothpaste on her brush occasionally for some flavor. It is super minty, so a spec is all she needs. Now she's a great brusher, so I'm happy she enjoyed playing around with it so much early on.

• DS is also obsessed with his toothbrush.  We tell him it is not time and he will usually throw a fit for 30secs and be done.  We brush them 2-3 times a day though b/c he enjoys it.  We brush them first and then he *brushes* them (chews on the brush too, LOL!).  We still use the baby gel.  I don't think you can brush too much but I also think that they should learn that they can't always have it (easier said than done, LOL!).  I have many days that I just say whatever and give it to him.  Good luck!
    Our kids are 19mths apart and we LOVE it!!

Married to my BFF on 8.13.05 (after dating 5 years)!

DS born 2.14.08. DD born 9.30.09.

• Ava is the same way!  We leave the toothbrush out of sight, and after we brush her teeth we let her finish them up.  I agree with the poster who said not letting her do it too often keeps it "exciting" for them.  About the paste... we used the gel cleansing stuff up until recently just b/c it always came with the new toothbrush.  Last time we ran out we bought toddler training toothpaste, which is still a flouride free gel.  I think it's basically the same thing as the infant stuff but has breath freshener in it.  The next stuff up from that is obviously the stuff with flouride in it.  You don't want to use that until they are around 2.5-3 and they get the idea of spitting it out.  I asked both my cousin (my dentist) and our pedi and they both said the same thing.  Swallowing flouride can cause flourosis.
    Ava Caroline 8.27.07 I Charlotte Grace 5.18.09 I Lila Katherine 1.20.11

• Dont brush too much thats even harmful, Do it at night and in the morning when you wake up...~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"