Parenting
Options

Was your name popular growing up?

Mine...totally.  Melissa is the #2 name in the year I was born.  I was one of 6 in my graduating class (of 120 kids). 

Re: Was your name popular growing up?

• Options
    OH yes, my name was super popular in the 1800's and when I was growing up, it was popular in the nursing homes.  Still is I think.
  • Options
    REOMREOM member

Hells yeah, MELISSA!

I think this is the reason I stayed away from popular names. I refused to even consider any name in the top 20. I was Melissa R for my entire life! Even where I teach now, there are two other teachers named Melissa.

DD1 12.18.06 DD2 9.18.08 DD3 EDD 5.10.2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    there weren't any other Christina's where I grew up, but lots of Christine's and Kristen's.
  • Options
    I went to a high school with 1200 people and there was not another person with the same name.  There was one girl who was a year younger who should have gone there, but she went to private school.  Now my name is very popular.
  • Options

Kori - no

Elizabeth - not really

Lisa (the name I actually go by) ?yep. ?There were 3-4 of us with lockers nearby & that was just the first floor of 3 lol ?There were 300ish people n my class.

• Options
    Not at all and still isn't. (Betheny)
  • Options
    Jennifer?  Yeah, I once played on a soccer team with 6 others.
    Jenni ~~Alex & Avery ~~ 6/13/06~~Adam ~~3/26/08

• Options
    I think I graduated with 4 or 5 other Angela's in my class of 275.
  • Options

Jennifer, Jessica, Brian

edit: OMG - totally misread the subject. My name actually was sort of popular, which was weird because I came from a smaller town. There were 5 Corey/Kory/Cori/Cory's (I think I covered all of the spellings).?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yeah, I think Lindsay was a pretty popular 80's name. There weren't a lot of Lindsay's, but definitely a good amount... but my maiden name was very unique so people knew me very well from that mostly.
  • Options
    Nope. I have only actually met one other (female) Devon in my life.
  • Options

It was semi-popular I guess. There was another Jamie in my grade school class of 21 kids and 3 of us in my high school class of 120.

• Options

Elizabeth is consistently popular but it was rare that there were more than a few in my classes.  I think I graduated with 2 other Elizabeths?

Nothing crazy popular though.

• Options

I'm a Melissa too.  

People would either try to make it into "Mel" or get it all kinds of confused with Melanie or Michelle.   

• Options
    As a nickname, yes. I'm Cristie, short for nothing. Most Christies/Christys/Kristys/etc, etc, etc were short for Christine or something like that.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Not at all. My name is Karissa and I have met very few people with my name. I was always called Clarissa though and then later on Marissa as it got more popular.
    Isabella Sophia 10/1/2006 Photobucket "little miss Avocado
  • Options
    Nope.  My parents were a few decades late with Patricia.  I have a granny name.
  • Options
    Not really.  I did have a good friend named Ann (no e at the end) who was in all my classes growing up but there were no other Anne's to speak of.
    Ryan 5/2010, Kyle 1/2007, Eric 3/2005
  • Options
    There was never another Deirdre in my school but obviously it's not a popular name. I usually go by Dee Dee and I did meet a guy with that name (not sure what spelling) and a girl I grew up with was named Delisha and sometimes went by Dee Dee but not really at school.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Options
    Mine is Laura, not popular but not unheard of.  My sister is Emily and everyone yelled at my mom for giving her an old lady name and she knew nobody with her name growing up and now it's really popular!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    there were a couple of Erin's in my class.  I looked it up and it was ranked 24th in 1976.
  • Options
    Not when I was growing up. Now I am hearing it more and more.
  • Options
    Certainly not.  Rhiannon?  You'd be surprised how many people have never heard of Fleetwood Mac let alone "Rhiannon".
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely not popular. I think I've met 2 people in my entire life with my first name, and none with the same spelling.
  • Options

I don't think Celeste has ever been popular.  I've only met one other in my life, and I think she was about ninety years old.

• Options

My name (Lauren) actually seems more popular now then back in the 1980's, but not unheard of. There was one other Lauren in my high school class of 140. I knew a male Loren in college as well.

My sister is Felicia -- no other Felicia's in our school!

• Options
    No... not at all! It's only now becoming popular because of everyone naming their kid Addison (my name is Addie... named after my grandmother Adeline).
    Delaney Grace - 6/29/06
  • Options

Nope. And it's perpetually mispronounced.

I was the only Larissa in my high school of almost 3000 kids.

AKA KnittyB*tch
    DS - December 2006
    DD - December 2008

imageimage
  • Options

imagewife1014:
    there weren't any other Christina's where I grew up, but lots of Christine's and Kristen's.

I was just about to say that I'm Kristin and I didn't know anyone else with my name but there were a ton of Christines and Christinas.

My freshman year of college, there were 7 of us in just my hallway.  (I  mean variations starting out Kris or Chris).  I was Kris, my roommate was Chris, my boyfriend was Chris, the girl directly across the hall was Chris.  If you yelled "Hey Chris!" down the hallway, practically every door would open.

• Options
    Nope - Rebekah is not very popular. I have only met 3 my entire life.
    Audrey Elizabeth 11-11-06 image
  • Options
    No, and it still isn't really popular.  In my graduating class of 620 I was the only Monica.  There was one a grade below me, that's it.
  • Options
    I think in general it was popular (Heather), but the area I grew up in was made up of mostly Hispanic immigrants so the popular girls names were Maria, Gabriella and Marisol. I didn't go to school with another Heather until I got to college.
    Cole Joseph 7/05/07

Nora Anne 11/03/12
    9lbs, 6oz
  • Options
    Yes, there were a ton of Katie's in my class.  Now my real name, Kathryn, not so much but I never go by that.
    Big Brother Logan Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Miles Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Bryan Smith - Freelance Photography Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    No. Not at all.
  • Options
    My name is Christina & yeah it was popular...I went by Tina back as a kid which wasn't as common as some other nicknames..but all & all the "Chris/Kris-something" names were very popular!
    AKA Carol*Brady! IHO my upcoming 10yr Nestiversary--Back to old screenname. My own Marsha, Jan & Cindy... imageDesigning a Life Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"