1st Trimester

I know it has been posted before, but....

Wondering what you ladies have heard from your OBs about Albuterol asthma inhalers being used.  is it safe?  I will likely call mine tomorrow, but what have you been told.  Read where it may be bad, but then you can read that just about everything can be bad!!?

TIA!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I know it has been posted before, but....

• I have asthma as well... I've read that not getting enough oxygen to your baby (from an asthma attack) is worse than the effects the medicine could have on the baby.  I also take singulair, and when I called my doc. to refill, she did without question so I'm assuming it's safe.  
  • Actually my doctor recently prescribed me an albuterol inhaler.  He said it was safe and even checked with my OB to make sure it was okay with her and it was.  I am still skeptical about using it as much as he told me to (4 times a day) so I only use it when I absolutely need it. 

• Loading the player...
  • QUESTION: Are you actually taking albuterol, or are you taking Pro-Air (still techincally says albuterol on the inhaler)? The reason I ask is DH and I are both severely asthmatic, and were told that straight albuterol is no longer being offered (and we had different insurances when they said this), and that we HAD to switch to Pro-Air. I am still using it, as doc said it was fine...but it def does not work as well as the old albuterol we took. What insurance do you have?

Anyways, I was told to keep up with my inhaler as long as I needed it! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageErin0922:

QUESTION: Are you actually taking albuterol, or are you taking Pro-Air (still techincally says albuterol on the inhaler)? The reason I ask is DH and I are both severely asthmatic, and were told that straight albuterol is no longer being offered (and we had different insurances when they said this), and that we HAD to switch to Pro-Air. I am still using it, as doc said it was fine...but it def does not work as well as the old albuterol we took. What insurance do you have?

I am using Pro-Air.

• imagenewslady:
    imageErin0922:

QUESTION: Are you actually taking albuterol, or are you taking Pro-Air (still techincally says albuterol on the inhaler)? The reason I ask is DH and I are both severely asthmatic, and were told that straight albuterol is no longer being offered (and we had different insurances when they said this), and that we HAD to switch to Pro-Air. I am still using it, as doc said it was fine...but it def does not work as well as the old albuterol we took. What insurance do you have?

I am using Pro-Air.

So I guess I don't need to call my insurance company in a fit of asthmatic rage? Haha :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I take albuteral as well.  The doctor said it was ok to take.  Much better to take the meds than to have the asthma attack and deprive the baby of oxygen. 

• imageErin0922:

It is Pro- Air.

• I asked my allergist specifically about all of my allergy/asthma meds during pregnancy.  He (and the OB and the pharmacist) all said the Albuterol and Qvar inhalers are fine as needed. I hardly use mine, but they think I use them regularly (I'm terrible).  On a sidenote, I was taking Allegra and had to switch to Zyrtec because Allegra is a Class C med and not considered safe for pregnancy.  You can search Albuterol and pregnancy on line, but from what I understand, I was told it is fine to use.  
  • imageErin0922:

Just wanted to add, ditto this exactly.  My albuterol Rx is now being filled with lamea$$ Pro Air that totally doesn't work as well.  DH is asthmatic and uses it much more than me...it is awful.   

• A lot of our Antepartum patients use them still.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"