Infertility

Selling Eggs

Hi. I am not sure if this is the right board to post this on but I have a couple of questions that I thought someone might be able to help answer.  I am interested in selling my eggs. I am trying to figure out how/where to research this on the internet. I thought maybe someone who is having trouble trying to conceive would be able to point me in the right direction. I don't know ANYTHING about the subject. I just saw a news article about it the other day and decided to look into it. My problem is that when I google it a hundred links appear and I don't know which ones are reputable sites.  Any info would be great - or if there is a better place to ask this question......

Re: Selling Eggs

• Selling... yikes.  Most people refer to it as "donating" their eggs.

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • call a reproductive endocrinologist in your area and tell them you are interestested in becoming an egg donor. They'll give you information.

FYI - it is a long process with lots of hormones, lots of testing (both mental and physical), and it's physically taxing on the body.

It's not like you go in on Monday and give eggs on a Friday and walk out with 15K

• Loading the player...
  • Some clinics advertise and you can find them that way. Pls be very sure of your decision, pp said it best. This is not easy on your body.
  • Yes, the preferred term is donating eggs.  It is illegal to sell your eggs.  Any compensation you would receive is to cover your time and expenses (lost wages from work, etc.) 

As someone who is using donor eggs, you "could" be a candidate.  From what I've learned, only about 10% of the applicants to an agency get accepted.  Of those 10%, several will be eliminated by the IVF clinic.

Picking a donor is a very individual choice.  What looks like a perfect donor for one couple is wrong for another.  One couple may want someone that looks like the wife, the other might decide solely on family health history.  One couple might only be looking for someone who has already donated, another is willing to take the chance on a first timer.

It is not a decision you should enter into lightly or solely for monetary reasons. 

There are significant medical risks you are taking.  You could develop OHSS (ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome) which could result in the loss of an ovary, hospitalization, etc. You will have to undergo daily injections and frequent monitoring. 

You will have to undergo psychological evaluation, genetic screening, STD screening, have to abstain from sex, give yourself shots, etc.

I suggest you go to an agency's website and read about the process their donors go through.  Also, just because you get accepted by the agency doesn't mean you will get chosen.  It could happen in a month, 6 months, a year, or not at all. 

If you do choose to go through with it, those of us that need to take this route cannot thank you enough for your gift.  However, it is not a quick money making situation.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for all the great information. I didn't know you couldn't legally sell eggs - butthat makes sence..... I also didn't know what a long process it is. I will have to think this over for a while. Thanks!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"