Breastfeeding
Options

Comfort Nursing?

Is there anyway to stop it?  Not completely, of course, but somewhat?  Kai likes to comfort nurse... alot.. and to be honest, at times its fine, but sometimes it makes me uncomfortable... I just wish he would take a paci, but that is totally hit or miss.  At times its either he comfort nurses, or cries.. and I just hate to have him cry, when the nipple makes him happy...

Any thoughts on how to keep it to a minimum? 

Rylee - 3.28.08
Malakai - 8.3.09
Ezra - 12.1.11 ASD

Re: Comfort Nursing?

• Options
    Try a new pacifier. It took me trying 4 kinds until I found one she loves...she loves the Avent. I tried the soothie, Nuk, some no-name kind and gerber one. 
    Beta #2 = 836
    Beta #1 = 160
    IUI#1 50mg Clomid = BFP!
    TTC #2 DX is .49 AMH

DD Born 5/15/09
    10/2 We have a beautiful Heartbeat!
    IUI #3 BFP! Beta #1 = 13, Beta #2 = 143, Beta #3 = 321, Beta #4 = 1300 Beta #5 = 6319
    IUI #2 = CP
    IUI #1 = BFN
    Unexplained IF
    TTC since June 2007
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My DD grew out of it eventually.  As you find other things that comfort him (rocking, swinging, etc.) he should rely on it less.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think comfort nursing helped me get a great supply. I hated it at the time, but now I am really happy that I just let my lo nurse when he wanted to. He likes me better than the bottle, latches on great, and I haven't had supply issues despite going back to work pt.

my lo refused a paci until about 6 weeks, then he just started taking it one day. 

don't make him cry. just be there as his mom.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ben was the same way - my nipples were cracked and bleeding for the first month because he was always on the boob and refused a paci.  Finalyl I tried the MAM brand (the 4th one I tried) and he took it no problem.  I was always anti paci until I started BFing, and now I see the beauty in it.  We are both much happier having something other than my breast be a soothing tool. 

So, try other brands and try offering it when LO is content at first.  If they are too worked up they may not be receptive to it. 

IMG_0888edit Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Oh, I've been in this boat too!  But, it does get better.  I posted a similar post about 2 months ago wanting to ease DS off of comfort nursing.  He still does to some extent, but not nearly as frequently.  And, when he does, he truly needs the comfort ... like right before I'm about to walk out the door and head to work or the minute I walk in the door from work.  DS still won't take a pacifier and I've tried--literally--every type that the sell at either Target or BRU.  He absolutely freaks out when I give it to him.

So, I guess I responded just to give you encouragement that it will get better.

• Options
    imagemfc2b4:

don't make him cry. just be there as his mom.

Oh no, I don't... if he is crying, he gets what he wants!  :) 

Rylee - 3.28.08
    Malakai - 8.3.09
    Ezra - 12.1.11 ASD
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"