Breastfeeding
Options

possible mastitis..advice?

Today I have had the chills all day.  Right now my temp is 101.9.  My breasts/nipples are tender.  I have been struggling for the past few days with cracked and at times the one nipple had bled.  I have never experienced mastitis before.  If my temp does not go down in a little bit here I will be calling the doc.  So, in the meantime, I was just wondering if you ladies thought this could be the development of mastitis?Crying
DD #1 Amber Lynn 12/2000, DD #2 Leia Elizabeth 6/2009, DD#3 Aayla Ruth 08/2012. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: possible mastitis..advice?

• Options

It certainly could be mastitis - is there any redness on either breast?

I say go ahead and call the doc now. 

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.

• Options

Definitely call the doctor.

Saturday I had horrible chills then would sweat, horrible headache and a fever of 101.5.  Sunday morning I woke up and my right boob was bright red and horribly inflamed.  I ended up at urgent care on an IV drip because my heart rate was up and I had a 103 temp after taking tylenol.  

Do either of your breasts feel sore or even under your arm pits?  

Either way, don't wait.....I wish I had realized what was going on Saturday night.  Hope you feel better soon.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Ditto beasley, don't wait! Call your doc and get in and get seen ASAP. It DEFINITELY sounds like mastitis to me. You describe the classic symptoms of high fever and chills, and you mentioned the cracked nipples that could have been how bacteria entered the breast (I've read that that is one way that you can come down with mastitis). Mastitis sucks. I just had it 2 weeks ago for the first time. My supply took a major hit. I began pumping every 2 hours and was only getting .5oz out of each breast. Luckily my supply came back with lots of water, protein, the antibiotics my OB prescribed, and oh yeah if they do put you on antibiotics you may want to take a probiotic pill or eat some of that dannonActivia yogurt, so you don't end up with thrush.

https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/preventing-thrush.html

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Diddo pp - do not mess with mastitis. Call your doc asap - you need an antibiotic, fast.
  • Options

I had this last week. I had wicked chills & my temp got up above 103. My right breast felt huge and engorged but would not empty w/ feeding. This lasted 2 days and then the fever went away but the swollen breast did not go down.

I am now on antibiotics and the swelling seems to be going down. My supply feels like it has taken a hit too; I'm having to feed DD more often. I hope it goes back up again soon. My nipples are also really sore, maybe because of the super frequent feedings?

I'm eating yogurt every day, hopefully I won't get a yeast infection...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"