Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Tips for long drive with DS

We're traveling for an out-of-town wedding in a few weeks and will be making a 10 hour drive with our 27 month old son.  We're planning on spreading out the drive over two days, by leaving on Thursday at 5pm and staying over somewhere at the half-way mark (or further if we can make it).  Any ideas for entertaining our little one on such a long drive?  We're hoping he'll sleep through part of it, but what will help us survive the waking hours?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Tips for long drive with DS

• Options
    I just drove 2 days one way (22hrs) with my two alone for a funeral and back...  we sang a lot of songs, looked for colors out the window (find something Yellow!!!) and guessed what things were (a lot of people had furniture tied to the top of their cars in the Carolinas).  Dh had bought a dvd player back in summer for our first flight with the kids as a just in case. So they did watch one movie each day, but we've traveled in the past without using it at all, but with both of us in the car.  they'd watch after lunch  ... and they would fall asleep for their nap during their movie time (dd usually right after it).  We stopped every 3 hrs for gas, potty and walking... and then stopped for a long stop at lunchtime looking for playgrounds/parks/fastfood playsets.  I packed lunches and snacks and had them in easy reach for me and the kids.  Packed coloring books and crayons , which they didn't use much... and travel magna doodle which dd enjoyed more than ds... books they both enjoyed.  and many CDs to sing with. 
  • Options

I'm dreading this, too! We're driving 14 hours each way next week and I'm nervous!! We've never driven quite this far before, but we've done several 5 hr drives.

I always bring lots of snacks. Lots. What isn't individually wrapped, I put in mini ziplocs or in a Snacktrap. Raisins, crackers, apple slices, dried fruit, cheese cubes, mini carrots (cut up). (We have a mini cooler that plugs into the lighter.) Only water in the car.

Clipboard, coloring pages, twist-up crayons.
    Stickers
    Magnet stickers w/ a magnet board
    Lacing beads
    Lacing cards
    Books
    A few new little toys for emergencies, wrapped in tissue paper
    Magnadoodle
    Wooden puzzle
    iPod w/kids songs - though DH hates listening to this when driving!

This time I'm considering bringing a portable DVD player and renting a few Sesame Street DVDs, but I'm pretty anti-TV so I'm not sure about this.

Good luck! Sometimse my DD surprises me and is great in the car. Other times, not so much!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We just got back from a 15 hour drive w/25 month old dd. She was FABULOUS!!! For starters, the Huggies Overnight diapers are GREAT for travelling! It cut down diaper time a lot---if your dc isn't potty trained.

The DVD player kept her occupied the majority of the time. I took lots of her favorite snacks and would let her choose what she wanted. I also took the juice boxes (not sure how your dc does w/those) but they were a hit and much easier than trying to refill her sippie.  I took a couple of her toys that were interactive, but overall the dvd player was a life saver!!

• Options

My suggestion is forget about the concept of time.  We've done a lot of trips and what should have been a 4 hour trip took 5 hours, an 8 hour trip took 11 hours, etc.  Everything takes longer with a child. 

Next road trip I intend to look for playgrounds or places we can stop at along the way.  Rest stops are fine but there are cars everywhere and I was constantly turning ds a different direction to run.  Really plan ahead and figure out where your dc could play for  a while. 

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options

posting to read the ideas later

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"