Working Moms

Sent DD to school in undies today

She had an accident as she was walking in the door.  I hope the rest of her day goes better!  She did pretty well this weekend.  Even got out of the tub to pee last night.  The accidents seem to be more my fault then hers (totally should have had her go potty before we left the house this morning).  Send her some "stay dry" vibes!  I don't want the ladies at daycare to hate me.  LOL!

Re: Sent DD to school in undies today

• totally read this as undies and nothing else!  LOL!

<<<<dry vibes>>>> for your DD!!

• oops wrong login!

totally read this as undies and nothing else!  LOL!

• Loading the player...
  • I'm sure she'll do great...it's a big leap into the world of undies  =)
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imagetrinny:

oops wrong login!

totally read this as undies and nothing else!  LOL!

Well, she might come home wearing only a pull up if she messes up the 3 changes of clothes I sent her today.  I totally forgot that I used to send DS with 5 changes of clothes when he was PTing.

• Can I ask a question? What was your "sign" to switch to undies? DD is doing great at pottying when she runs around bottomless at home, but she will still pee in her diaper if she has one on. We bought her some undies over the weekend, but so far, she refuses to wear them.

I'm not really pushing the issue right now, but I'm just not sure what to expect -- and I'm REALLY not sure how to integrate preschool into the process. She wears diapers there right now, has never peed on the potty as far as I know. And they don't even change her diaper as much as I'd like, so I'm not sure that they'd put up with having to take her to the potty every 15 minutes!

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• imageflyer23:

Can I ask a question? What was your "sign" to switch to undies? DD is doing great at pottying when she runs around bottomless at home, but she will still pee in her diaper if she has one on. We bought her some undies over the weekend, but so far, she refuses to wear them.

I'm not really pushing the issue right now, but I'm just not sure what to expect -- and I'm REALLY not sure how to integrate preschool into the process. She wears diapers there right now, has never peed on the potty as far as I know. And they don't even change her diaper as much as I'd like, so I'm not sure that they'd put up with having to take her to the potty every 15 minutes!

DD was using the potty a bit at school, but not consistently.  She was running around bottomless at home for a couple months when it was convenient and rarely having accidents.  She would also take off her pull up to go potty on her own and just decided some days that she was going to use the potty for most of the day.  Our problem was after naps, we both kind of got lazy about using the potty in the afternoon.

Honestly, the director put a little pressure on me on Friday and I decided that we'd try undies all day on Saturday and see how it went.  It went great, so we did undies again yesterday.  She did pretty well (a couple accidents both days, mostly my fault) so I sent her in undies today.  She's only had 1 accident so far! 

Just keep at it.  Keep trying to get her to go for longer periods of time w/o diapers.  See if she is interested in a special kind of undies at the store and buy those for her.  Show her that bigger kids wear undies (especially someone that she knows).  Leave them out for her to try to put on by herself.  We have a bit of an advantage b/c DD wants to do everything her brother does and I know the PT'ing routine at their school.  They're pretty cool about accidents and supportive of parents pulling the plug on diapers.  =)

• imageflyer23:

Can I ask a question? What was your "sign" to switch to undies? DD is doing great at pottying when she runs around bottomless at home, but she will still pee in her diaper if she has one on. We bought her some undies over the weekend, but so far, she refuses to wear them.

My DD came to me and told me suddenly she was too big for diapers and that was that.  Big Smile  However, her daycare had just moved her up to the preschool room where EVERYONE was potty trained but her. Positive peer pressure is a lovely thing.  They take them potty every hour, as well as letting them go on their own as needed.

Have you tried training pants rather than diapers. Diapers are so 'dry' that she may not feel when she's wet.  Cloth training pants will absorb more in accidents, but let them feel the wet. Even pull ups with the 'cool feel' lining work good...DD still wears those overnight just in case.  But I'd just give it time, and keep focusing on the good steps she's made already.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for the tips! Potty training is so confusing to me. I don't know when to nudge her and when to sit back and let her drive.

I did get her to wear underwear tonight by bribing her with chocolate Smile Not sure if that's the "right" thing to do, but we'll see how it goes! We started off bribing her with Goldfish for peeing on the potty and now she just does it, and doesn't even ask for Goldfish half the time.

madhatter - we use cloth diapers. At home, if she's wearing a diaper, we've started using a prefold (which is just plain cotton) with no cover, so we can tell as soon as she pees. At first, she'd tell us when she peed in those. Now, she'll pee (and deny that she's wet), but only a tiny bit... so I definitely think she "gets" that she doesn't want to get too wet, but she also knows that it's OK to pee even in a prefold and that's holding her back a bit.

Honestly, I expected her preschool to be a little more of a help with it all. I'm biding my time until the "real" school year starts next week -- the summer session is run a lot differently in general, and also, her main teacher has been on maternity leave for the last month. So I'm waiting to see whether her main teacher starts really working on potty training once she gets back and gets into the swing of the school year.

Anyway, that does help a lot... it seems like we're on the right track and just need to keep nudging her in the right direction but ultimately letting her choose how quickly she gets there. I'm amazed at how far she's come just in the last month or so -- a month ago, she wasn't peeing on the potty AT ALL, and now today, for the time she was home (in the morning/evening), she went diaperless and had no accidents and peed on the potty multiple times! So I guess we are doing *something* right, even if we have no clue what we're doing Wink

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"