Pregnant after 35
Options

Joint pain

I'm having trouble with stiffness & swelling in the joints of my middle finger.  (Overuse from driving, perhaps?!?)  Is this type of pain common in pregnancy or does it sound more like arthritis?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Joint pain

• Options
    My two cents-I had almost a carpal tunnel like thing going on with my right hand my first time around...ended up wearing a brace at night to keep it from hurting...GL!
  • Options

Any chance it's water retention? How is your blood pressure? I had water retention in my fingers and ankles last time, but it was late in the third tri.

Whatever it is, I hope you feel better fast!

2012 Races: Mar 24: Great Human Race 5K. April 28: 5K for Fitness
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm having the same, comes and goes, not always in the same hand.  Sometimes it's in the wrist.  Doesn't feel really swollen like water retention would.  I have a feeling it's a pregnancy induced Carpel Tunnel.  Since it's brand new with this pregnancy, I'm guessing it will go away after. 
  • Options
    I have carpal tunnel in my wrist, my knees hurt and my fingers a swollen and tight, all pregnancy related. Those hormones really mess with your joints.
  • Options

I am having exactly the same problem that you describe, except it's in more than one finger.  Some days are worse than others.  I had surgery to correct carpal tunnel 6 years ago, and this does not feel like that did, so I suspected arthritis.

However, I asked my OB about it last week.  He said what I described sounds just like pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel.  He said it can take only a minor amount of swelling to cause the problem (and I haven't had a problem with noticeable swelling to date).  He said if it got particularly bad to where I couldn't grip the steering wheel, the pain didn't subside at least a little during the day, etc., that I should wear wrist braces at night.  I have these from my first time around and I'm resisting wearing them.

I think that's what you have, too.  I don't think it is arthritis.

Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • Options

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this.  DH handed me a pair of Chinese exercise balls.  They're round things the size of golf balls that make a jingly sound when you move them.  The idea is to hold them both in one hand and move them clockwise & counter-clockwise to exercise your joints.  It did seem to help a little.

But I do DH has an ulterior motive of getting me used to playing with balls!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageBrosis:

But I do DH has an ulterior motive of getting me used to playing with balls!

DHs can be so funny   :)

Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • Options
    Yesterday, I talked to doc about it and he suggested pregnancy induced arthritis. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"