Multiples
Options

feeding at same time- burping???

a bunch of ppl gave great ideas to sara1014 about ways to feed at the same time but i am still stumped about burping since you have to take the bottle out of the other one's mouth- in the middle of the night this could lead to screaming at my house & would not make the simul-feed worth it....

Thanks! 

Re: feeding at same time- burping???

• Options
    For us, depending on how they are doing mood wise, I can either take the bottles out of both mouths, burp one then burp the other. But if one is having a meltdown, I keep feeding one and put the other up on my shoulder to burp and lean back enough to keep them balanced there (I feed on the couch with them in boppies). I will also put the one needing to be burped over my leg up at the hip almost, and burp them that way so I can keep feeding the other. HTH!
    Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I used a paci for the one not being burped.  I'd pull both bottles out, give one a paci while burping the other, switch the paci and burp the other one, give both bottles back.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i let them both take enough in that they are somewhat satisfied and then i can burp one while the other waits - usually will not cry b/c he has enough in his belly to wait a few minutes - and sometimes he'll even burp on his own sitting there in the boppy.
  • Options
    Oooooh...good question!  I paged you on SAIF btw.  :)
  • Options

imageleslie13510:
    I used a paci for the one not being burped.  I'd pull both bottles out, give one a paci while burping the other, switch the paci and burp the other one, give both bottles back.

Same here. Sometimes they would spit the paci out and scream, but when you're feeding two newborns at once, there are only so many options ... And actually the first few months, we usually did nighttime feedings separately (but one right after the other so we could then go back to bed for a while) so that they wouldn't get too worked up if they had to wait while we dealt with their brother. Another option that sometimes worked for burping would be to put both babies over their boppies (on their tummies) and pat their backs to burp them at the same time, then turn both back and resume the feeding at the same time.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options

I can burp one and continue to feed one at the same time.  My picture is below.  I'll try to get a pic of how I burp one and continue to feed the other but basically I just tilt them up and lean them over one arm while I wrap it around them and use my hand to burp.  It's pretty effective!  There would be lots of screaming at my house too if I stopped to burp one.

• Options

when I stop to burp very often the other is crying. now I feel like a terrible mother!

• Options
    imageboshi799:

when I stop to burp very often the other is crying. now I feel like a terrible mother!

Why do you feel like a terrible mother? It's almost unavoidable with twins. I think Shanseur's method is pretty cool and creative. That wouldn't have worked with our boys though; back then they almost always spat up when they burped so I needed to have a burp cloth right under their mouths and I'm not sure how I could have managed all that with one hand!

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    Oh trust me.... after the kiddos are a little older we will be getting a new couch.  Samuel can vomit across the entire thing.  He has pretty bad acid reflux.  I have started using blankets to cover the whole thing when I start to feed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"