Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Trying to find a bumper

I have been searching for a black breathable bumper...anyone seen one anywhere?

Re: Trying to find a bumper

• Options
    Have you thought about buying a white breathable bumper pad and dying it black?
  • Options

imagecet6907:
    Have you thought about buying a white breathable bumper pad and dying it black?

Nope-hadn't thought of that. Is there a specific kind of dye to use that is safe for babies?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Well once it gets dyed you would just wash it through a normal regular cycle and the dye doesn't come out or stain.  So I wouldn't think that after dying it there would be a problem with putting it around a baby.  Might be something to verify with your doctor maybe or call up a pediatrician and ask them.  But if it's a permanent dye that doesn't bleed or anything I wouldn't think that after washing it in a baby safe detergent that there would be any problem. 

And I can't remember the exact name of the dye I have always used, but I buy mine at walmart and i know kroger sells the same stuff... but down your laundry isle there is a small section of dyes (powder and liquid are both fine).  I think the name is R.I.T.E. or something like that, but not positive.  I always put the recommended amount of salt in there too.  I think it helps hold the color in better, but some people don't use it.  I think it's like 1/2 tablespoon of salt for each box and load you do.  

But make sure after you dye it and then wash the bumper than you run your washing machine (empty) at least 1 cycle with all your soaps and stuff like that in there just to clean out and dye that got left behind.  And then my first load for using a black dye would probably be a load of darks.  :) 

• Options
    Hmmm...Thanks! I will have to look into that. I have never dyed anything before. It will be a new experience for me.
  • Options
    No problem.  Good Luck with it! :)
  • Options

RIT dye.  Most fabrics are dyed anyway so I don't see how it wouldn't be safe.  Just wash it after you dye it :)  You should probably do the washing machine method since a bumper is kind of big, even a breathable.  Unless you think it would fit in a pan on the stove.

I dyed my crinoline skirt for our wedding and that thing was huge.  It was a pain to dye because it was SO big and SO full, but the process itself was very easy.  Anyone can do it :)  And the dye does NOT ruin your washing machine.  I was using aqua so it's a lot lighter than black but there were no color remains afterwards.  I ran a bleach wash after I dyed the skirt afterwards just in case, but I don't even think that was necessary.  I just wanted to make sure that there wouldn't be leftover dye that would get on my clothes.  Then, after that, I just washed some really dark towels and sheets to be sure.  I never had an issue.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"