Infertility

What is the highest dose of clomid?

Hi ladies,

Another failed round of clomid (AF is here today) so i'm wondering what i should request from my RE at our next visit.

I've tried both 50 mg and 100 mg; both 'worked' in that a follie developed (but i ovulate on my own anyway), but i think i'd like to up the dose.  We only get a couple more cycles covered through insurance so why not?  It doesn't seem like upping the dose would do any harm...and maybe a couple eggs would develop instead of just one and we'd have  more of a chance?

So is 100 mg the highest dose, or can i go higher?

TTC since 2008
dx MFI March 2009, low motility and low morph
dx Stage I/II endometriosis September 2009.
Multiple failed clomid, injecitble and IUI cycles
IVF #1 Janaury 2011: 28 retrieved, 22 fert normally
5dt of two beautiful blasts (6 frozen)
BFP 2/10/2011 (holy cow!!!)
1st u/s 2/24: 2 gestational sacs, it's twins! Only 1 heartbeat, Baby A, 110 BPM
2nd u/s 2/28: 2 heartbeats! It's twins!
3rd u/s 3/7: Lost Baby B :-( Baby A looking good.
Pregnancy Ticker
We will always love you Baby B.

Re: What is the highest dose of clomid?

• I did 50 - one egg, 100 - one egg, 150 - two eggs.  Then the RE switched me to femara.
    jailbirds Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • i think you can go up to 150 mg.  but higher is not necessarily better. has your doctor suggested maybe trying Femara?

HTH

sorry about the BFN.  AF is a biotch. i am strangely this month anxiously awaiting her arrival. we will be starting our first IUI this coming cycle. and my RE changed me over to Femara since 50 and 100 mg of clomid did not work for me.

good luck with

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • i think you can go up to 150 mg.  but higher is not necessarily better. has your doctor suggested maybe trying Femara?

HTH

sorry about the BFN.  AF is a biotch. i am strangely this month anxiously awaiting her arrival. we will be starting our first IUI this coming cycle. and my RE changed me over to Femara since 50 and 100 mg of clomid did not work for me.

good luck with

this
  • sorry computer just went crazyEmbarrassed

good luck with this cycle is what i was trying to say.

• Is Femara an injectible?  Apparently that's what we have to go to next if the clomid doesn't work. Shots every day for 5 days, then a trigger.

Our doc doesn't do IUI so i think he's just trying to get us pg with meds only...which is okay, but i still have this nagging question...why do i take clomid if i ovulate?  why am i taking it with a cyst on my right ovary?  And why don't I have a diagnosis?  All questions, no answers...

TTC since 2008
    dx MFI March 2009, low motility and low morph
    dx Stage I/II endometriosis September 2009.
    Multiple failed clomid, injecitble and IUI cycles
    IVF #1 Janaury 2011: 28 retrieved, 22 fert normally
    5dt of two beautiful blasts (6 frozen)
    BFP 2/10/2011 (holy cow!!!)
    1st u/s 2/24: 2 gestational sacs, it's twins! Only 1 heartbeat, Baby A, 110 BPM
    2nd u/s 2/28: 2 heartbeats! It's twins!
    3rd u/s 3/7: Lost Baby B :-( Baby A looking good.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    We will always love you Baby B.
  • imagePittTexan:

Is Femara an injectible?  Apparently that's what we have to go to next if the clomid doesn't work. Shots every day for 5 days, then a trigger.

Our doc doesn't do IUI so i think he's just trying to get us pg with meds only...which is okay, but i still have this nagging question...why do i take clomid if i ovulate?  why am i taking it with a cyst on my right ovary?  And why don't I have a diagnosis?  All questions, no answers...

Sounds to me like you need a second opinion and a new doctor.......

• imageLCB34:
    imagePittTexan:

Is Femara an injectible?  Apparently that's what we have to go to next if the clomid doesn't work. Shots every day for 5 days, then a trigger.

Sounds to me like you need a second opinion and a new doctor.......

ditto!! Most docs do an ultrasound at the beginning of a cycle because they WONT give out mess if you have a cyst... Seems very odd! Have you gone through any of the other testing like an hag and gas your dh had a sperm analysis?
  • My meds were upped to 150 clomid and 125 follistim this time around.  I could have done follistim every day instead of the clomid but it would have cost me  A LOT more money.  I also agree with pp that you might want to get a second opinion and make sure they do some testing as well. GL!
  • imagePittTexan:

I have taken 150mg in the past and I know some gals have taken 200mg, but that is with extreme monitoring. Femera is a pill, just like clomid. It is used in infertiliy off label (it is normally a breast cancer drug).

Katie, PCOS since May 2005, Fostering since November 2010 Adoption since December 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    *PCOS bio* *Cold Hands, Warm Heart*
  • Femara is a pill that works like clomid. 

I don't know why your doctor wouldn't do IUI.  When I was on clomid it dried up my CM and the ONLY way I could have gotten pregnant that cycle was with IUI.

It sounds like you need more answers.  If your doctor can't give them to you it's time to find a new doctor.

jailbirds Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'd find a new doctor. You shouldn't be doing clomid with a cyst!

The clomid/femara are supposed to give a bit of an extra boost and possibly more targets. I can't remember, do you have some MFI, as well? If you want to stay lower meds, they can also do natural-cycle IUIs.

imageimage

• i think 150 mg is the highest they'll let you go before switching your meds.

If you're not doing well on Clomid see if they'll switch you to Femara. It doesn't have any s/e's (i.e. very low risk of multiples, no CM issues, no lining issues, no crazies).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"