Infertility
Options

Antral follicle counts for IVF

When I went into for my baseline U/S they said they say 10-12 antral follicles on the left and 12-16 antral follicles on the right. How did your count correspond with the actual eggs produced for IVF? We need a higher number of eggs (hopeful!!) due to the PGD for two disorder. Only about 25% of the embryos will be unaffected. I'm caught in a numbers game in my head - even though the RE says not to even worry about it. As if!

I'd love to hear some personal experiences! 

Re: Antral follicle counts for IVF

• Options

With IVF #1, I had 30 antral follicles on CD3 and they retrieved 31 eggs.

With IVF #2, I had 30 antral follicles on CD3 and they retrieved 10 eggs.  The rest were cysts.  :(

GL to you!

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My AFC was 13 but we only got 6 eggs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

AF counts are not indications of what you may get a t retrieval for a number of different reasons, primarily because you are only looking at a 2d image of your ovaries and there may be many more out of sight. Also, just because of the amount you have does not mean they will all repond to meds and grow to maturity.

That said, I have a really crappy amount of AF I think about oh 6 total on both ovaries. When starting stims my left ovary always did better then my right and 5 or 6 follicles would start growing on that side alone (not all got to maturity, but it goes to show you I had more hiding) 

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Options
    During my IUI cycles I never had an AFC higher than 6 but, for some reason it jumped to 9 for my IVF #1 baseline.  They only got 4 mature eggs at my ER. 
  • Options

my AFC before Lupron were always high (borderline PCOS) but then after Lupron they were as follows:

IVF #1 14 AFC- 14 eggs- all mature

IVF #2 17 AFC- 10 eggs- all mature

I think it can vary from cycle to cycle- good luck!

Our Journey from two to three! 3 IUI's, 2 IVF's, decided to move to foster/adopt. 12/24/2009 Baby C born, 2/1/2010 placed with us, 5/17/2011 Adoption final- we are finally a forever family! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had 30 antral follies total and with my first IVF they only got 10 eggs. Big difference, BUT they cut down my stims big time towards the middle-end b/c it appeared as if I was overstimulating. I only got a half a trigger shot too. My RE at the time was very risk-averse to OHSS. My new RE is pretty aggressive so I expect more OHSS symptoms, but also higher egg #s.
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies! I appreciate your feed back. I guess I'll have a better feel for how things are going on Saturday when I go in for an ultrasound. It can't come soon enough.
  • Options

It sounds like you're starting off with a great number of follicles!  I'm doing PGD also, but my afc is much lower and i am a poor responder to the artificial stims...

1st cycle:  8 antral follicles = only 4 grew (cycle cancelled)

2nd cycle:  13 antral follicles = 10 eggs retrieved (9 mature) -- ended up with only 2 unaffected embryos to transfer

3rd cycle:  17 antral follicles = 17 eggs retrieved (13 mature) -- in process, PGD biopsies today

Hope that helps!

• Options
    I had 18 antral follicles. ?Only 8 during my ultrasounds. ?5 retrieved. ?5 fertilized. ?5dt transfer tomorrow. ?Good luck!
  • Options

My AFC was 17 and we got 18 eggs (guess a couple were hiding or caught up.  I had 20 some measurable follicles at my last u/s)  Only 14 were mature, but 12 fertilized and 11 fertilized normally. Then we had 1 great one we put back and 7 made it to freeze.

In my blog, I linked an article about AFC and IVF success rates.  I think you can search by antral and probably find that entry.

• Options

With IVF #1 I didn't get a true AFC ... rather they counted during my baseline scan before starting stims (which is wrong b/c the Lurpon decreases the count).  That said, my AFC was around 10 and I had 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature.

This cycle I my AFC was between 23 and 28.  I am probably triggering today.  At my u/s they saw 30 follies, at least 16 of which should definitely be mature.  So it's really anybody's guess how many we'll actually get at ER.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"