Parenting after a Loss
Options

Help a friend: mylicon and green poop

My friend had her baby at 30 weeks. He just hit term - so while he is 2.5 months old, his adjusted age is a newborn. 

Anyway he's been having gas problems so she has been giving him mylicon. She just emailed me this:

"Did the gas medicine turn Ethan's poop green? And how often did he poop? Sense Brayden has been on the Mylicon he has only been pooping about every four days and he spends the rest of the time trying and straining. When it does come its dark and green. Is that normal? Hope this isn't too much information!! The doctor said maybe we should try Caro Syrup - have you heard of that?"

I know when Ethan turned about 2 months old (real age) he went from pooping constantly to once every 3-4 days.....but since hers is a preemie I don't know. We didn't have to use Mylicon too much, so don't know if that turns poop green?

Just wondering you experiences to help her.

A
imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

Re: Help a friend: mylicon and green poop

• Options

I do remember some green poop. And I do remember not pooping every day.

The one thing we did that really seemed to help Andy was not give him straight up mylicon. Instead, I'd do equal parts mylicon and water. made maybe half an ounce? Don't remember. But it made it easier on his tummy and really helped him out. 

DS Born July 2008
    #2 & #3 Due 8/25/12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    My experience was that if poop stayed "in" for awhile, either in the baby or in the diaper, it turned green.  For us it did not seem to be related to Mylicon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we were told our green poop was fr the prevacid for reflux...also read in baby 411, formula fed babies tend to have green poop too, which we are doing too. she goes everyday and isnt ill...so pedi not concerned.
  • Options
    Hmm. I'm not sure.. Eve has green poop pretty often since she was about 6 weeks, but I do not know if its related to when she has mylicon or not.. She did and still does poop AT LEAST once a day though mylicon or not.
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"