Breastfeeding
Options

left freezer door cracked open overnight--is my stash ok?

I'm such an effing idiot. Stayed at my mom's last night. When I got home I saw that I had left the freezer door cracked open for 24 hours. It's a side by side fridge/freezer.  I lost half my stash and most of the items in the freezer. Some of my bm is still frozen but the freezer warmed up a bit. Is this BM safe to keep? The freezer is cool and is cooling down as we speak. I'm a little afraid the thing is broken.  Icemaker is not yet making ice.  I'm giving it a few hours to see if it starts to make ice and gets cold again. We put a cup of water in the freezer to see if it would freeze and it's already icing over.  The stuff in our fridge wasn't as cold as it should be either.

Is the frozen BM safe? Do you think I broke the fridge?

I think I might just die if all my BM is trashed and I have to buy a new fridge. DH will kill me. Obviously I'm being dramatic but I am freaking out. We're having a bunch of people over for a cookout in 2.5 hours.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: left freezer door cracked open overnight--is my stash ok?

• Options

I don't see why the frozen milk wouldn't be good.  I left my deep freezer open, not just a crack, like wide open for a good 12 hours (I don't know how that happened!).  My poor freezer was HOT on the outside from running like crazy all night but none of the milk I had in there thawed and I've been using it with no problems.

I hope your fridge is ok!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Options

I'm sure your milk is fine, especially if it still appeared even remotely frozen. It was far below the temp of your fridge if it was still frozen. And if it had been at fridge temp for that long it would be fine, right? For, like, seven days.

Breastmilk is remarkably resilient and resistant to going bad. I've pushed the limits, and I've never ended up with "bad milk."

Your fridge is probably running warm because it is working so hard to get the freezer temp back down. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"