Detroit Babies
Options

Recommendations and tips please...

Ok...I know I know I'm way overdue on this...My 3 y/o is still on the bottle.  I think that is the reason he was ok with giving up his pacifier when he was younger cause he can still suck on the bottle.  Well, his bottom teeth are  getting bad because he sleeps with the bottle.  I have been trying to cut him off the bottle and just have him drink from a cup/sippy cup/ or cup with a straw and during the day sometimes he takes it.  But then now he rather not drink any milk at all during the day, but when it comes to bed time he gets mad and will take some sip from the cup just because I tell him to then he'll tell me no more and start giving me this puppy dog face and start crying.  Please give me tips on how I can do this.  How much milk should he be taking (I'm worried that he'll not want to drink any milk at all-he hardly eats, very picky eater) and please suggest a pediatrician dentist (Macomb Twp are).  TIA!!!

Re: Recommendations and tips please...

• Options

Wow, sleeping with a bottle is a massive problem!  I would suggest cutting that out immediately.  I can't really suggest much without knowing your bedtime routine, but I would try giving a cup of milk about a half hour before sleep.  Don't force him to drink it if he doesn't want it, but a three year old is old enough to understand the whole "you're a big boy now and big boys don't drink bottles" concept.  Stand firm even if he cries otherwise he will know he can get his way by having a tantrum.  Good luck with this!

I would talk to your pediatrician about specific milk requirements and a referral for a dentist.

• Options
    First off, A 3 year old on a bottle is totally the parents fault. Throw out all the bottles in house, buy 1-2 sip cups, actually he could drink out of regular cups. He is not an infant and doesn't soley depend on MILK as a meal. He is not eating regular food well because he is getting full off milk. Take away the bottle and he will start to eat more food. Also, There is no set amount of milk he should be taking in daily, yes, there are suggestions, but he will not die from not having milk daily. The main reason milk is recommended for children is because of the calcuim, but cheese, yogurt, and other food serve the same purpose. Now he has baby bottle teeth, that will get worse if you don't take the bottle away. I'm sorry, but you should know better. You allow him to sleep with the bottle. He's not 3mos old, he's 3 YEARS old. Who's the parent in the house? Also, of course you may have some rough nights ahead of you when WEANING him, but this could have all been avoided and the consequences will not be easy on you, this is an issue you created, not the child.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also, out of curiousity, is he Potty Trained yet? If not, Potty Training and Bottle Weaning would be an awesome thing to do for him. These things will help him feel more like a "Big Boy".
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Wow Organicmama- a little harsh are we?!?  Can't you be helpful without being overly critical.  Making the poster feel like a crappy parent isn't going to make anything better.  At least she admits there's a huge problem now and is trying to figure out a solution.  How would you like if someone called you out anytime you made a poor parenting choice- you know it'll happen eventually because no one is pefect!

Anyhow- as far as a dentist, this is where I use to go as a child.   https://www.mychildsteeth.com 

Ask your pediatrician for suggestions on how to break the bottle habit and about concerns with nutrition.  I'm sure they have some great tips.  Remember that many 3 years old tend to be picky eaters. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

For a pediatric dentist I take my kids to Cambridge Dentistry.  They are on Romeo Plank just north of 23 mile Rd.  There are I think 3 dentists that work in that office.  51218 Romeo Plank Rd, Macomb Twp 586-677-7944

As for the bottle, don't beat yourself up over it.  We all make a parenting decision that seems to be the best at the time but turns out to be a bad choice in the long run.  I would take him to the store and have him pick out a new sippy cup or cup with straw.  I would throw out all the bottles and tell him they are broken and they have to be thrown out.  His main nutrition at his age should come from regular foods so instead of milk, try cheeses, yogurts and you could always try milk with cereal, make oatmeal with milk..etc.  You may some rough nights but you and your son will get over this obstacle.  Good luck

• Options
    Ya, don't beat yourself up about it (or let others!).  I don't have the experience yet in this area but can you give him water instead of milk in the bottle for now while you are trying to break him of the bottle habit?  It will at least be better for his teeth and he may wean himself off the bottle if he isn't getting his milk in it.  Everything I've been reading and hearing is that anything but water will cause decay. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all the really helpful tips and recommendations on the dentists.  As for others, um  I guess everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and reactions.  Didn't want to sound like a total you know what about it, but I really appreciate the ones that are actually really giving me on what to do here.  And yes, it is my fault, and my husbands fault...his mostly too I think cause he keeps on giving in because he just doesn't want to hear the crying, but I am making him be the one to take my 3 y/o to the dentist for the check up.  He knows how bad the teeth are getting with the bottle but doesn't really support me on this...it was more of me trying to kick him off the pacifier.  Wish we were on the same page...that's a different story.  Thanks again to the ones with the recommendations and tips!!
  • Options

Have you tried something else to comfort him at night? Like a blanket or stuffed animal? My DD is 16 months and we're still using a paci at night, but over the last few months we've tried to have her connect with a blanket and a stuffed bear so she can use those to sooth herself to sleep once we take the paci away. We make a big deal about gathering up her bear and taggie before she goes to bed and when she takes naps.

During the day ... have you tried any modeling behavior? I assume he's not in daycare b/c they would have him on a cup by now. But if you are in playgroup or something similar, show your son other kids with sippy cups and make a big deal about their cool big-boy cups.

And try all kinds of cups. My DD rejected several when we first switched.

I know this is hard but I think you have to take control back. It sounds like he knows how to manipulate you. Kids are going to get mad and cry. Talk to your doctor too. He/She might have some advice because I'm sure he/she sees this often.

Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"