Minnesota Babies

Who has used a Doula?

With my first birth, I thought about hiring a doula but was worried about the extra expense. Then, due to what I feel like were unnecessary interventions at the hospital, I ended up with an unplanned c/s (which was, btw, WAY more expensive than a doula). I'm planning on a VBAC with no medication, and I think a doula will help me acomplish that.

Is there anyone that comes highly recommended?

Re: Who has used a Doula?

• there is one from the st cloud area who had a booth at the benton county fair last week!

she does both prenatal, labor/delivery AND post delivery services and she's also a LC!!!!!

Consultation/Prenatal/LC services are $25/hr from 7am-10pm and $40/hr from 10pm-7am

Antepartum Services/Bedrest Services are also $25/hr

Doula Services are $250

Postpartum Services are $25/hr from 7am-10pm and $200 (full overnight) 10pm-7am

https://www.breastfeeding.com/experts/AmyO

• I absolutely LOVED my doula!  I had her for my first child and I recommend her to EVERYONE!  Her name is Rebecca Feyder 651-442-0653. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sure you've been checking on this stuff, but make sure your hospital is okay with VBACs. Some aren't. Also, using a CNM may also work well for you and if your hospital works with a midwifery company, it could be covered by your insurance like an OB would.

Midwives, I found, are like doulas and OBs in one!

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Check out this link:

https://childbirthcollective.org/

I just learned about it last week but there is tons of good info.  

• Where are you looking to have your VBAC at?  Reason I ask is that we were going to attempt a VBAC at St. Johns with DD (until she started measuring 9 lbs at 36 weeks!  Thank goodness we ended up with a 2nd c/s as she came in at 9 lbs 9 oz at 39 weeks, which would have decreased my odds of a nautral birth quite a bit!)  St. Johns is one of the few hospitals in the metro that will allow VBACs, althought I think Woodwinds was trying to push for starting VBACs in '09.  Anyway, Woodwinds has a volunteer Duola line you can contact.  The Doula contact can give you a list of duolas for hire for St. Johns or even possbly Woodwinds.  Also, St. Johns offers a VBAC class that I would HIGHLY recommend.  You can also get Duola referrals through the class.
  • Thanks for all the recommendations!

I will deliver at North Memorial, and they performed almost 40 VBACs there this year so far. My OB is pro-VBAC, and I do want to have her there in case things don't work out again.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"