3rd Trimester

ALL LIQUID DIET AFTER A C-SECTION????

Tell me it's not true!  Is this standard in most hospitals?  I will ask tomorrow at the doctors, but I am hoping you guys can let me know now!

Re: ALL LIQUID DIET AFTER A C-SECTION????

• ours does clear liquids, then all liquids, then after you can pass gass, you can start eating.

major abdominal surgery - they have to make sure your digestive system is working.

• Yep sure does. For at least the day of surgery. But believe me you won't feel like eating food anyways-at least I didn't.
  • Loading the player...
  • With my first I did liquids for 2 days until I could safely have a bowel movement.  Take the softeners... that will help move things along.
    BFP #1 (DS, 10/98), BFP #2 (DD, 10/09)
    BFP #3 -mm/c @ 7wks, discovered at 9wks, D&C 9/28
    BFP #4 5/29 EDD 2/9 - please be our rainbow
    imageimage
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Not in mine, I had a cinnamon roll and dt. pepsi after I delivered, in the recovery room.  I think our was just whatever you could stomach.
  • I hadn't heard this either. I guess day of makes sense and probably food won't be appealing but the next couple of days, I hope I can!!
  • I had the liquid diet for the first 24 hours then the next morning after they allowed me to walk I was able to eat regular food.  I was able to eat before passing gas however they won't let you leave the hospital before that.
  • For first 24 hours...not so fun...

For my first, I was not hungry at all in the hospital....hardly ate...so the liquid in the beginning did not really bother me. This time though, I hated it. I was starving...I told my nurse and she brought me some toast early...I did fine with that so let me have a regular dinner before my 24 hours were through.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Once you pass gas you can eat. It was 3h after #1 and 16 hours after.
  • I work in the Nutritional Services department at a local hospital and yes after a C-Section it is standard to be on a clear liquid diet for about 24 hours after delivery.  At our hospital a clear liquid diet consists of broth, juice, jello, tea, and a frozen icee which is almost like ice-cream.  Like previous poster said they may let you have regular food before your 24 hours are up if you can handle it!  Don't freet about it's really only like 1 or 2 meals.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yep, I was told no solids until I passed gas or had a bowel movement.  I was starving just because I had G/D and hadn't had a decent meal that wasn't eggs and sausage or chicken in weeks so I took the stool softeners and didn't fight any gassiness because I really wanted something substantial to eat.  I was able to eat the morning after the c/s.
  • It may vary from hospital to hospital, but I was on an all liquid diet after my c-section and quite honestly, I do not feel like I could have eaten anything after the surgery.  I had a liquid dinner and breakfast and then by lunch the next day I had a regular tray.  Your body is so overwhelmed by everything, you will not care what you are eating. GL!
    and the greatest of these is love......2/10/07 David Noah joined us 08/08/09 Proud BE mommy! Colbie Faith joined us 05/20/11!
  • I wasn't really hungry after having DS.  He was born at 12:26 pm (no food after midnight) on Thursday and I had a clear liquid breakfast (around 9:00 am) on Friday.  I did have a normal lunch, but still wasn't very hungry.  I think by dinner on Friday, I was ready for real food. 

Since a c/s is an abdominal surgery, they want your digestive system to start working again before you have any "real" food.  At my hospital, you had to have  normal bowel sounds and pass gas before you could eat anything.  My OB said that they want your digestive systeme to be working again before you eat because they don't want you to throw up.  Throwing up can put too much pressure on your internal sutures and could cause them to tear. 

Oh, and there was a study out a while ago that said chewing gum can help get your digetive system started again after a surgery.  The chewing motion and saliva kind of trick your body into thinking it's eating so the digestive system kicks into gear.  I didn't do it, but my friend did.

• When I had my C in 96, the OB on rotation had a ridiculous bowel obsession....i had NO solids for nearly 72 hrs!  Then the rotation changed and the OB who was on ordered the nurses to bring me food immediately!  Discussed this with my current OB and he says to my own tolerance this time around...no forced waiting period.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"