1st Trimester
Options

Round ligament vs ectopic pain?

Hey ladies, sorry to keep posting questions about pain, but it seems the more research I do, the more confused I get. 

Can anyone tell me the difference between round ligament pain and ectopic pain?  Research says round ligament pain is usually on the right side and can be sharp or achey, but so can an ectopic pregnancy.  I am leaning more toward having round ligament pain for today since the whole right hip joint hurts (maybe I slept wrong last night). 

It seems that a lot of the sx are similar.  Does anyone have experience with either? 

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Photobucket

Re: Round ligament vs ectopic pain?

• Options
    Ectopic pain is pain where it hurts so much you can't stand up straight.
  • Options
    Ectopic pain is unbearable.
    Due October 29
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It's rather early in your pregnancy to be having round ligament pain, but from what I understand ectopic pain is extremely painful and sustained, not just a cramp.

It's very normal to have all manner of cramps, aches, and pains during pregnancy.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Options

It's also possible you have a cyst. ?I had cysts on my ovaries during my first two pregnancies and it hurt a lot. ?I'd have really sharp, pointed pain, and I'd also have pain like you described where the whole side hurt (sometimes down by the hip and sometimes up higher). ?The cysts were harmless and had nothing to do with my miscarriages.

If it makes you feel better, my OB told me an ectopic will usually start with spotting, then really unbearable pain. ?Of course there are always exceptions and if you're nervous, it's a good idea to check in with your doc.?

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    For me, my round ligament pain was lower down than the pain I had with my ectopic. 
  • Options

imageAmethystBride:
    For me, my round ligament pain was lower down than the pain I had with my ectopic. 

If I may ask, what kind of pain was the ectopic?

Photobucket

• Options

It seemed sharper to me, whereas RL pain seemed more like a pulling, stretching pain.  I hope that makes sense.

I also have to add that I never had horrible pain with my ectopic--it was just a pain that came and went and I dealt with. It wasn't even suspected until I had a D&C and no "products of conception" were found.

• Options

I had horrible, horrible, severe cramping during weeks four and five, my doctor said not to worry about it unless there was bleeding. I was worried about ectopic though, but got to see the baby in the right spot at my 8 week ultrasound. I was very relieved! It is probaby just weird pregnancy stuff! When is your first dr. appointment?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Actually on Tuesday!  We get our first US so we are very excited. 

I have actually had right abdominal/pelvic pains for the last 2 years (my lumber spine is slightly twisted so it causes pulling, the chiropractor says it is a hip flexor pain).  The pain feels similar, but it is achier on a daily basis.

Photobucket

• Options

I'm sure after your appointment your fears will be put to rest! Congrats!

• Options
    Thanks guys!  You are so supportive!

Photobucket

• Options

It's probably your Corpus Luteum cyst, which ever pregnant woman has during the first trimester.  I have sharp pinching pains occasionally on my left side and I know I O'ed on my left side.

Ectopic has horrible unbearable pain with bleeding. 

• Options

imageAmethystBride:

Follows the bikini line if that helps at all. 

I had fibroid pain that was dreadful. RLP very early with #2 though.

• Options

It is way to early for RLP.  I didn't feel it until I was about 16 weeks or so and I think that was because I'm a runner and was putting extra strain on everything.  I really got it around 20 weeks and it was pretty bad there for awhile.  I don't have any experience with eptopic but it is supposed to be very painful and not something you could ignore.

I doubt you have either.  Probably a cyst or some kind of bloat pain.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"