Pennsylvania Babies
Options

XP: DS has whooping cough!

First off, sorry for the repetition to the ladies that also visit 6-12, as this is a XP.

Long story short - 2 weeks ago DH sounded a little congested, just thought maybe a minor cold was coming. He started coughing and it transformed into horrible coughing fits that left him gagging and gasping, sounded like he was choking. We had him to the pedi 3 times in 1 1/2 weeks, and they kept saying chest/lungs/ears clear and continue with saline drops & humidifier. The coughing fits weren't getting any better and he passed out one night last week when we were giving him the saline drops (I think he got so mad he held his breath). I heard sound bytes online of kids with whooping cough, and thought it sounded similar, though DS didn't have any other symptoms.

We took him to the on call doctor pedi last weekend who didn't think he had it because he hadn't seen a case in 12 years and DS wasn't sickly, which he said is typically the case with kids with this disease, but he said we could have the test if we wanted it. We decided to do it just to make sure. The test at Harrisburg Hospital didn't last long, but its a miserable test and DS screamed bloody murder. We felt so bad for him! Well, the 24 hour test came back negative and they put him on antibiotics for sinuses. We were expecting to see some improvement.

Friday I got a call from the state DOH that his 5 day test came back positive. So now we'll all cooped up in the house for a week since DS can't be around anyone until he finishes his antibiotics, all on antibiotics and those in close contact with him also have to be on the antibiotics and get the updated booster with whooping cough shot if they don't have it. I'm getting mine on Monday. Crazy thing is that DS WAS vaccinated against this!

We're so tired and just feel so bad there is nothing we can do for the coughing fits. No one has really sleep around here in about 2 weeks, when the coughing began. ?

Again, sorry for the repetition 6-12 ladies, just wanted to update my local board for those that don't visit 6-12.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: DS has whooping cough!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"