Pennsylvania Babies
Options

What do you think?

When we move out to San Francisco, Eli and Hannah will be sharing a room.  For the first few months anyway, she will be in the bassinet, but I am thinking about starting to get Eli into his "big boy bed."  We are probably just going to get a toddler bed, we were not at first, but with the small quarters when we move, its less space taking uping, haha.  Do you think it would be a good idea to get him used to the bed being around now and maybe even trying to do some naps in the bed, or do you think we should wait until we move?  I kind of wanted him to get used to the crib still being in his room, but him not being in, and trying to show him that the crib is now for Hannah.  I will still keep him in the crib overnight, but thought maybe I could get the ball rolling before we move?  So many huge transitions in this little guy's life.  I'd appreciate some opinions!

Re: What do you think?

• Options
    I actually posted on 12-24 yesterday about the transition to a toddler bed. I wanted to see if anyone had success with the transition at 18 months. (I wasn't sure if that was too soon or not.) I would like to get DD#1 used to sleeping in the toddler bed for a while before her little sister takes over her crib. They will also be sharing a room. We just put the toddler bed in her room 2 days ago, but I still have her in the crib for now. I wanted to have it in there for a little while just for her to get used to it first. So far she really seems to like it. She will climb up and sit on her bed with a book or stuffed animal and cover-up with the blanket, etc. I was thinking about starting with naps too, but the more I read, it sounds like it might be easier to start with bedtime first, then naps. We still need to put the side rails on the bed but I hope to give it a try in a couple of weeks. Once she is in the toddler bed, the crib will still be in the room waiting for the arrival of DD#2. I'll post again when we make the move!! I think you have the right idea getting the ball rolling before you move... that would be a lot all at once for the little guy.
  • Options
    I have no experience but I think it would be less traumatic to do one change at a time so I think I would start the transition to the bed soon so he's used to that and that's a new comforting place rather than doing both.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree that it would be less traumatic to do one change at a time and try to get him in the bed sooner and here, so it's not a new place and a new bed.
  • Options
    I don't have any advice here since I think our transition is a very long way off. But I did want to suggest that when you do have the crib in the room, that maybe you could have him put a doll or a stuffed animal to "bed" in there so that he starts to understand that it's not for him anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"