3rd Trimester

Petting Zoo- Dangerous if your pregnant???

I was going to a petting zoo (all domesticated farm animals, nothing really wild) and my cousin said that he thought they were a no-no when you were expecting. Anyone heard of this or know from experience? I mean obviousily I am not goingto be pettign the cows then eating without washing and disinfecting my hands but no petting???

Re: Petting Zoo- Dangerous if your pregnant???

• I am not quite 3rd tri but I've been lurking and I guess I thought I would respond.

I live on a farm and I have been around our cows, and horses all along. Granted I quit riding my horse and I am pretty cautious around the cows. I guess the way I see things is that as long as you are not putting yourself in physical danger (ie just petting / feeding) you should be fine. Just be sure to keep your self at the front of the animal so you don't get kicked. Have fun!

• That's a good question. I took my daughter to the petting zoo..all farm animals as well around 27 weeks and thought nothing of it. Just carry purel or some kind of hand sanatizer and I would think you would be fine.

• Loading the player...
  • You should be fine. Just don't eat any poo or kiss the animals. Wash your hands when you are done.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
  • A lot of animals (dogs included) do carry salmonella and some other bacteria that can be harmful.  It's found in their saliva and their poop.  Kids, pregnant women, elderly, and those with compromised immune systems are at a higher risks for contracting this.

I wouldn't avoid the petting zoo, but I would def take some antibacterial wipes with me and use them often.  The risk is small, but it is still a risk.  Just remember that everything you touch (door knobs, etc) were probably touched by someone who did pet the animals.

(FWIW-I've got a degree in animal science.)

• no poo eating or animal kissing??? well there goes all my fun :P

Thanks ladies- I will buy some extra stock in Purell this week.  

• I live on a farm and I can assure my baby's issues have nothing to do with me petting the cows, playing with the cats etc.

I worry more about being physically hurt by my cows  than anything. Since you're just there to pet, feed and love them I doubt that's going to be an issue.

Wash your hands and use common sense and it shouldn't be a big deal.

• It makes sense that it would be a no-no, although I've never heard it.  Our state fair had a major problem with E.coli or salmonella or something a few years ago at the petting zoo.  I'm a teacher and we used to take kids to this farm event every year and we had to stop letting them pet the animals because of e.coli I think.  If you go, I would think it'd be fine if you bring some hand sanitizer and use it often. 
  • I live on a farm the only thing that worried me is getting one of the mama cows mad and having her charge me.  Just petting and feeding is not really very risky my doctor just didn't want me to lift the 100 bales of hay she said nothing about petting.
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"