Austin Babies
Options

Anybody worn baby in sling in airport/airplane?

I'm flying with ds tomorrow & plan to wear him in sling but it is kindofa pain to get him in & out. Do they make u take baby out & carry them thru security or can u leave them in sling? Anybody know? TIA!

Re: Anybody worn baby in sling in airport/airplane?

• Options
    I wore Daniel in a sling the first time we flew with him (at seven weeks), and they did make me take him out of the sling at security.  Sorry!  I was, however, able to wear him in the sling on the airplane, which was great.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Depends on the carrier and tsa person. Once I had to take him out and the rest of the time we are good. Sometimes the swab you for explosives sometimes not. Don't forget to take little one's shoes off before you go through security. Have a good flight!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Of your carrier/sling has any metal you will have to take it off and run it through the machine, if not your good. Have a great trip.
    Photobucket
  • Options

Ironically the last time I flew --they were fine with me walking dd#2 through security in a sling but the airline attendant tried to tell me to take her out of the sling during take off because of safety reasons. My dh who had read the airline website argued that he had read the airline website which noted that slings were allowed. He also pointed out that a sound asleep baby strapped to my body was much safer than a wiggly, crying baby on my lap.

The attendant snapped "just take the baby out" and walked off. I being the good person that I am--left the baby sleeping, thanked God my husband was not arrested and laughed at the fact that the attendant never came near our seats for the rest of the flight. 

However, if you read TSA's site they do not allow babies "carriers" but I say try it.  I went through secuirty at Austin and San Diego w/ the baby in the sling (sleeping) and they did not ask me to remove her though they did pull me aside in San Diego to use the wand on me around the baby. Which was fine since she stayed sleeping.

• Options
    It depends on the agent you get as to whether you can wear a child through security. I was almost always allowed. For safety regulations you are not supposed to wear a child during takeoff and landing because if you were to pass out or get hurt it would be difficult for them to save the baby. However, this rule is not always enforced. You can sling during the flight without issue.
  • Options
    I've NEVER had to take him out of the sling and I've worn him in the Mai Tai (which has metal), the Bjorn and the Peanut Shell. ?They are usually pretty accomodating for us since we always have our hands full with the two kids and all the belongings.
    Jacob David (01/07), Matthew Isaac (12/08) & Kasey Elise (9/10)
    WEB
  • Options
    I flew with DS in the Bjorn quite a bit, and never once had to take him out going through security (and the Bjorn has some metal). ?
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"