2nd Trimester

Scheduled to interact with prison inmates @ 24 weeks... scared....

I sold an automotive program to a local prison about 2 years ago and some of my clients want to go into the prison and take a tour  - so I set it up. Now that the date is getting close, I am not 100% comfortable going into the prison walls @ 24 weeks. While in the prison- there are inmates walking around with no hand or ankle cuffs... They are just walking around in an automotive lab amongst you.... as if you are in a grocery store or in the mall. Part of the tour- is sitting down at a table and interviewing some inmates... Litterally, there is NOTHING seperating you from them.  

If any of them ever wanted to take a hostage- a pg lady would be the perfect canidate. On top of which, prison do not negotiate in hostage situations EVER!!! In other words- I would be strewed and on my own. On the other hand, these particular inmates are not rapest, murders or child molesters. They are mainly drug dealers, thefts, and some assults- but all parolee's. The imates accepted into this program are due to be released within 3 years... None the less, they are inmates!

There isn't anyone else at my work that can take my place. Everyone else works out of state... This is a $500K opportunity for my work and I don't want to screw it up. The commission on this job alone would pay for a years worth of day care...

What do you think I should do? I can have custody (the guards) give me a emergency pager... and there will be the instructor of the course near me at all times... I am just nervous and the inmates will see that in me.

Scared...

Re: Scheduled to interact with prison inmates @ 24 weeks... scared....

• I know it's nerve wracking, but if they're allowed to interact with public citizens, the prison don't see them as a risk to others. Sure, things can happen, but it's really not likely.

Also, there are lots of security guards that will be there to jump in should anything happen.

• The last time I visited the prison- there was 1 custody officer  who visited us within the three hour stay. They are always a phone call away- but are not in the building to monitor... I wish that were the case. Also, the last time I was there- DH was with me as we work together. He will not be there this time... :(
  • Loading the player...
  • i work for child protective services, and have to go into jails on occasion to interview inmates. while it sucks, and they will not negotiate, it really hasnt been that bad. but they will sense nervousness, and they love that, so you just need to be confident. the guards are pretty good about watching, and if you are going to be with the instructor, i say go for it! maybe you can wear a baggy shirt so you dont look so pregnant if you are worried? good luck! i wouldnt pass up that kind of money ;)
  • I'm an officer in a jail.  Inmates and detainees are kept in secure lock up if they can't be trusted around people.  The "bad ones" aren't left to wander freely without restraint devices.  Most criminals aren't bad people, they've just made bad choices in the past and are working to improve themselves now.

I'm sure you'll be fine but if there are precautions like an emergency pager I would definitely take advantage of it to ease your mind.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage
  • imagelifesadance:

I'm an officer in a jail.  Inmates and detainees are kept in secure lock up if they can't be trusted around people.  The "bad ones" aren't left to wander freely without restraint devices.  Most criminals aren't bad people, they've just made bad choices in the past and are working to improve themselves now.

I'm sure you'll be fine but if there are precautions like an emergency pager I would definitely take advantage of it to ease your mind.  

Thanks for suggestion... I appreciate your experience and I will ask for a pager. Saying that, this is max. security state prison. I know all inmates start off in jails-  and the degree of their crime determines their placement (i.e. jail vs. prison). But, these are the big boys... I will just have to sike (sp) myself out prior to going in.  Wish me luck!

• Being paranoid isn't good for the soul. There are people out who aren't locked up that are more dangerous than a run-of-the-mill drug dealer. But, that doesn't mean we should stop living our lives.

These are criminals, not psychos in a mental institution. Speaking of which- I wouldn't sell an automotive program to a mental institution. Even when you're not pregnant. 

I think you'll be fine! Criminals can't actually smell fear! They're humans. Just treat them like that and you won't have a problem.

Smile 

• I used to teach GED classes in a prison.  I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried.  Just my opinion.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This sounds really ignorant. They have been accepted to the program. They are doing their time. Do you also hold it against them after they have served their debt to society? They are working on bettering themselves and preparing to exit and rejoin society.

You do realize that the people in prison hate child molesters and often go after those that are convicted of those crimes. I highly doubt they take pregnant women any less seriously. 

The chances of anything happening to you are slim to none. The more you fret about this, the less prepared you actuall would be in a situation that might be harmful. 

• Good luck!  I'd be nervous too.
  • We had inmates come to our school over the summer to paint the hallways. All of the teachers except me and my bff were so uptight and wouldn't even talk to them or look at them. I thought it was ridiculous and snobby of them like "oh I'm better than you because I'm a teacher and your an inmate." My bff and I talked to them and put on some music for them while they painted, and they were so happy to have someone to talk to besides the people they are surrounded by everyday. I know people who have been to prison and who are still there now...I wouldn't be scared to be around them because of it. Don't let your worries get in the way of helping these people trying to help themselves. Your work is doing a wonderful thing, and you should look at it as an opportunity to break down the stereotypes you have in your mind about these people....IT WILL BE OKAY!
  • I am sure they are low risk inmates if they are free to walk about. There will be guards around. I am sure you will be fine
  • I understand you being a little frightened, but you have a few things to consider...

1. Anyone who is enrolled in this sort of program has to be "rehabilitated" to some extent. They wouldn't let a crazy crazy out of solitary or their cell or whatever if they had a history of violent behaviors,

2. From what you said, I get the gist they are mainly drug offenders, etc. This would make me feel slightly more at ease.

3. I work at a psychiatric hospital where people do get combatitive- the other staff members are great at getting me away from those people or switching case loads with me when needed. I would ask as many questions as you need to about security and protocols.

• I think you should treat them like human beings.  They all are on the parolee list and are due to be out in 3 years.  Why would they want to screw that up to take a hostage or such crap.  You are being a bit bigoted.  Treat them with some respect and they will likely treat you the same way.

Look down your nose at them and act like you're scared of them and they will realize you think of them like roaches and not care for you either.  Kinda like the Golden Rule. Treat others as you would be treated.

Also, my Mother works in a large state jail.  She supervises all work release and furloughs, etc.  I think you should look at what you are really saying about these people.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Wow, there are a lot of people that seem to think the prisoners will be wonderful people.  While I doubt they would harm or harass a pregnant woman, they are in jail for a reason.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageroxyttandme:
    imagelifesadance:

I'm an officer in a jail.  Inmates and detainees are kept in secure lock up if they can't be trusted around people.  The "bad ones" aren't left to wander freely without restraint devices.  Most criminals aren't bad people, they've just made bad choices in the past and are working to improve themselves now.

Thanks for suggestion... I appreciate your experience and I will ask for a pager. Saying that, this is max. security state prison. I know all inmates start off in jails-  and the degree of their crime determines their placement (i.e. jail vs. prison). But, these are the big boys... I will just have to sike (sp) myself out prior to going in.  Wish me luck!

Misdemeanor = jail

Felony = prison

Misdemeanor = jail sentence less than 12 mos

Felony = sentence longer than 12 mos

You'd be surprised what crimes are misdemeanors as opposed to felonies and vice versa. It's not a "degree" system like you're thinking of it.

But take the pager, it should help ease your mind a little bit.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wouldn't go for two reasons: 1) what you already wrote in your post - yikes, and 2) because it will cause you and your baby a whole lot of stress, and that's the last thing you need. Why not get a doctor's note and bail out on this? (no pun intended)
  • imagesadielove:
    Wow, there are a lot of people that seem to think the prisoners will be wonderful people.  While I doubt they would harm or harass a pregnant woman, they are in jail for a reason.

Yes, they are in jail for a reason.  No, that reason does not mean that they are violent impulsive sociopaths who are going to attack the first pregnant woman they see.  It sounds like they are in a vocational rehabilitation program, thusly being much less likely to attack someone or hold a random stranger hostage than someone who is in shackles with nothing to do all day but brood.  It's amazing how well people respond when you actually treat them like human beings.

To the OP- it sounds like you have the opportunity to be a part of an amazing program. I would be interested in hearing more about it.  Good luck and enjoy your visit.

• Honestly I would probably do it. If they aren't violet criminals like sex offenders, murderers, etc..?
  • We have a program at work where inmates do the cleaning and general maintenance work.  They learn skills and trust and would not be in the program if they were not thought to be able to interact with the general public.  I think you will be fine see if they can assign a guard to keep an eye out for you while you are there.
  • imageroxyttandme:

I sold an automotive program to a local prison about 2 years ago and some of my clients want to go into the prison and take a tour  - so I set it up. Now that the date is getting close, I am not 100% comfortable going into the prison walls @ 24 weeks. While in the prison- there are inmates walking around with no hand or ankle cuffs... They are just walking around in an automotive lab amongst you.... as if you are in a grocery store or in the mall. Part of the tour- is sitting down at a table and interviewing some inmates... Litterally, there is NOTHING seperating you from them.  

If any of them ever wanted to take a hostage- a pg lady would be the perfect canidate. On top of which, prison do not negotiate in hostage situations EVER!!! In other words- I would be strewed and on my own. On the other hand, these particular inmates are not rapest, murders or child molesters. They are mainly drug dealers, thefts, and some assults- but all parolee's. The imates accepted into this program are due to be released within 3 years... None the less, they are inmates!

There isn't anyone else at my work that can take my place. Everyone else works out of state... This is a $500K opportunity for my work and I don't want to screw it up. The commission on this job alone would pay for a years worth of day care...

What do you think I should do? I can have custody (the guards) give me a emergency pager... and there will be the instructor of the course near me at all times... I am just nervous and the inmates will see that in me.

Scared...

You have to look at it like this: If these guys can get out within 3 years, they aren't gonna screw it up by taking anyone hostage. I went on a tour of Pelican Bay State Prison (in CA) with my Criminal Justice class. That is a max. security prison too and we just wandered around with out guide. Charles Manson was at that prison for awhile. What I'm trying to say is, the prison wouldn't let you anywhere near these people if they were a threat to you. Get the pager thing for your own piece of mind and try to think of the inmates as workers, not prisoners. Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagefaithhollett:

Being paranoid isn't good for the soul. There are people out who aren't locked up that are more dangerous than a run-of-the-mill drug dealer. But, that doesn't mean we should stop living our lives.

These are criminals, not psychos in a mental institution. Speaking of which- I wouldn't sell an automotive program to a mental institution. Even when you're not pregnant. 

I think you'll be fine! Criminals can't actually smell fear! They're humans. Just treat them like that and you won't have a problem.

Smile 

This

I thought this was a joke when I first read it. LOL  You really thought out the worst possible senerios which means you're overthinking this and taking it way too serious. They are human beings not dogs who sniff fear. If they have that much freedom, their crimes were probably petty ( stealing etc as opposed to rape, murder...) You'll be fine. Just treat them the way you want to be treated--with respect. And as PP said, there are far more dangerous people walking the streets!

• Wow... there is a good percentage of you ladies who responded like total idiots! Who said anything about treating the inmates with any lack of respect? It amazes me how people can take a simple questions and turn it into a political debate. FCS! Secondly, I get the penal system. I went through the police academy and can truly hold my own. Saying that, I would never want to put myself in that position while pg. It's just not a smart thing to do. These men are parolee's... Rapest can be parolee's... murders often time can parole.  Last year the program lost a student cause he was shanked to death in the yard. We are not talking about model citizens here, folks. Some of them are violent offenders some of them are blue colar criminals. Besides custody or medical staff - the chances of them seeing a women since they were put in prison is not a ton. Perhaps "if" they had a vistor... but, that is under close eye of custody. This situation is not.
  • I think you'll be just fine. Yes they are prisoners and yes they were put there for a reason - but not every single person in your program is a parolee rapist. Don't the people who responded on this board that it isn't safe because they were rapists think that the guards and people in charge of the prison would put two and two together and take the rapists/any one else who slightly poses a danger and keep them away from the pregnant girl? Seriously.

I have a feeling that a good portion of the men in there are probably going to be much nicer than you think. Some of them when they went in might have had a pregnant wife or daughter and are now missing out on their child/grandchild growing up.. so even if one of them DID get a hair up their butt (which is like, a .000001% chance, seriously) and decide to take you hostage, other prisoners would beat the crap out of him the way they beat the crap out of child molesters. So not only do you have prison guards on your side, you most likely have a bunch of the prisoners on your side too.

• imageroxyttandme:
    Wow... there is a good percentage of you ladies who responded like total idiots! Who said anything about treating the inmates with any lack of respect? It amazes me how people can take a simple questions and turn it into a political debate. FCS! Secondly, I get the penal system. I went through the police academy and can truly hold my own. Saying that, I would never want to put myself in that position while pg. It's just not a smart thing to do. These men are parolee's... Rapest can be parolee's... murders often time can parole.  Last year the program lost a student cause he was shanked to death in the yard. We are not talking about model citizens here, folks. Some of them are violent offenders some of them are blue colar criminals. Besides custody or medical staff - the chances of them seeing a women since they were put in prison is not a ton. Perhaps "if" they had a vistor... but, that is under close eye of custody. This situation is not.

Don't know why you bothered asking or even posting about it if you already know everything.

Y'know, 'cause most of us responded like complete idiots and all.

• I worked completely through my first pregnancy at a max. security state prison as a dental hygienist. The only inmates I didn't have contact with were the death row inmates. I do mean CLOSE contact too, their heads are practically in your lap! LOL! The men were very respectful of me and were excited about my LO. They would tell me about their kids at home and how they missed them. They all kept up with my progress and were super excited about it like I was their daughter or sister. I moved 2 years ago and had to leave my job there and I miss it a lot. After 8 years of being a hygienist I have never had more appreciative patients for what I do for them. Yes, I didn't share every detail with them, (the LO's name, where we lived, etc.) because you always have to remember you ARE at a prison, but the 5 years I was there I have very fond memories of. You will be fine and maybe you might even come out of the experience with a new respect for men that didn't keep their noses clean, but are still human too. Hope this helps.....
  • imageroxyttandme:
    Wow... there is a good percentage of you ladies who responded like total idiots! Who said anything about treating the inmates with any lack of respect? It amazes me how people can take a simple questions and turn it into a political debate. FCS! Secondly, I get the penal system. I went through the police academy and can truly hold my own. Saying that, I would never want to put myself in that position while pg. It's just not a smart thing to do. These men are parolee's... Rapest can be parolee's... murders often time can parole.  Last year the program lost a student cause he was shanked to death in the yard. We are not talking about model citizens here, folks. Some of them are violent offenders some of them are blue colar criminals. Besides custody or medical staff - the chances of them seeing a women since they were put in prison is not a ton. Perhaps "if" they had a vistor... but, that is under close eye of custody. This situation is not.

If this is the way you respond to people who are trying to help you then I can see why you might be constantly worried about your safety.  Get over yourself and just go in and do your job.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"