Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

If you started solids at 4 mo, when did you start finger foods?

DS started solids at 4 months, and the kid loves to eat.  He eats really chunky and thick purees now with no problem, so I thought I'd try some finger foods.  He does fine with Mum Mums, and is sort of figuring out Puffs, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

We've tried small pieces of banana (he wasn't a fan of that, he just yelled at the banana until I held it up for him to eat), and large pieces of canteloupe (he did ok with that).  He's still mostly sucking, rather than mashing with his gums.  Is there something I can give him to help teach him how to chew?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
imageimageimage

Re: If you started solids at 4 mo, when did you start finger foods?

• Options
    I started solids at 6 months and finger foods just before 7 months. At 7 mo nths though his pincer grip got a lot better and he feeds himself a ton now at 8 months.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I started solids at 4 months but didn't start finger foods until 7 months.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagejnksmom:

I started solids at 4 months but didn't start finger foods until 7 months.

Me too! I just went with when DD seemed to be interested in feeding herself. I also noticed she was "chewing" her thicker purees. I started leaving small chunks in the purees for a while. It took her about a week after I gave her table foods to connect putting them in her mouth to feed herself. Now she loves it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    8 months.  We have been going by what the pedi says.  It was stage 1 solids from 4-6 months, then stage 2 solids at 6 months, finger foods at 8 months and then we go next week to find out how her diet will change for 9 months.  It's lame but I can't wait to find out what she weighs and what she is supposed to start eating and all of that. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"