Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Scared for D&C

So next week I will have my D&C and I am sooooo scared!!!!!!!! Please share advice!!

Re: Scared for D&C

• Don't be scared. For me, it was the easiest part mf my m/c, physcially. In my head I knew the waiting was over. I didn't have any heavy bleeding afterward, and spotted for a couple days only. You will make it through. :::big hugs:::

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have experienced both natural miscarriages and D&Cs and IMO the D&C was much "easier."  It was scary to go in, but it is over very quickly and then they give you all those lovely painkillers so you don't feel too much.  I am sorry you have to go through this.
    7 mm/c
    APS, hetero factor v leiden & MTHFR
    bfp #1 - 12.11.07, edd 8.14.08, mm/c 1.21.08 (10w4d)
    bfp #2 - 4.4.08, edd 12.3.08, mm/c 5.14.08 (11w)
    bfp #3 - 8.3.08, edd 4.15.09, mm/c 9.17.08 (10w)
    bfp #4 - 1.15.09, edd 9.26.09, mm/c 2.16.09 (8w2d)
    bfp #5 - 6.16.09, edd 2.25.10, mm/c 7.23.09 (9w)
    bfp #6 - 8.12.10, edd 4.27.11, mm/c 9.16.10 (8w1d)
    one more try -> bfp #7 - 2.11, our miracle baby boy arrived 10.11
    ttc again -> bfp #8 - 5.3.13, edd 1.13.14, mm/c 5.30.13 (7w3d)
    bfp #9 - 9.23.13, our miracle baby girl arrived 5.29.14

• Loading the player...
  • DH will be with and my mom is coming up too. I don't do well with surgery so I need my mommy!! 
  • Having had 6 surgeries, the d&c being the 7th, I can tell you this was by far the easiest surgery, from a physical standpoint, that I'd ever been through. I only spotted for a day or 2 afterwards and my hcg levels began to drop fairly quickly. I had my surgery at 6 pm on a Tuesday night and I was out walking my dog the next day. It was virtually painless. However, emotionally speaking, it was very difficult for me. DH was with me and just held my hand and let me cry when I needed to (which turned out to be a lot). I was glad when it was all over. The next afternoon DH left on a family camping trip and my BF came over and spent the day with me. She was AMAZING, just let me talk, cry, etc. and we just enjoyed the day together. The following day I met up with DH and my family at the campground. 

Try not to be too scared. It really shouldn't be too painful. Hugs to you!! I'm sorry you are dealing with this. 

• I was scared too, but honestly surgery was a breeze.  I woke up with no pain and had minimal bleeding for the first two days.  I'm still bleeding three weeks later but the surgery itself was easy.  If I ever go through this again and have the choice, I'll probably go the d&c route.  Once we found out about the missed miscarriage, I just wanted the pregnancy to be over with.  After the surgery I had a couple of nights of bad cramps but I think those can be blamed on the methergine (the medicine helps control the bleeding).  Other than that, it's been pain free. 
  • First of all, I want to say I'm very sorry for your loss and that you are having to experience this.

I had a D&E (similar to a D&C) on Monday.  Physically, it has not been a very difficult process to go through.  Not painful at all.  My bleeding has pretty much tapered off to nothing now.  They gave me painkillers but I haven't had to take them.  Mentally, although it was/is a very trying and sad situation, I know this was the best choice for me because I am now able to start over in a sense.  The dreaded waiting is not there anymore.

My advice to you is to take it easy the day of your surgery, and just do things when you feel up to it.  Make sure there is someone there to take you home and spend the rest of the day with you because you don't know what you'll feel up to doing or how you'll feel.  Being alone in this situation is not fun.  I experienced the hormone crash yesterday, so allow yourself to feel all those different emotions and don't think for an instant that you are over-reacting or being ridiculous. 

Good luck with everything and I wish you a speedy recovery.

TTC #1 since 7/08 After 3 years, 2 losses, 3 rounds of IUI, and one round of IVF, we finally have our dream come true! DS born 7/30/11

TTC #2 off and on since 7/12

• I am so sorry for your loss, and that you have to go through this.  I was really scared also before my d & c.  It was 2 weeks ago.  Like the others have said, it was one of the easier parts of the whole m/c, at least physically.  I was knocked out for it, so I really don't remember any of it, other than them putting the oxygen mask on me...  I bled fairly heavy for about the first week.

Good luck to you.  I am sorry. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am so sorry for your loss.  My D&C was relatively easy.  I had complete anesthesia...one minute I was telling them I didn't feel sleepy at all and the next minute I said to my nurse, "It's over already?"  It seriously felt like 5 minutes had passed.  After recovery, they gave me snacks and DH came in to see me.  I went home and basically slept a lot for 2 days...spotting lasted for 11 days.  No need to worry.  Good luck!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Hello I hope everyone is well today I had a d&e procedure today I went into the hospital thinking it was a d&c because that's what my OBGYN said it would be. Me and my husband just got married 9/14 and knew we wanted children together right away. On the morning if nov 2nd we got out first hpt and it was
    Positive!!!!! We have that 1st exciting dr
    Apt on 11/25 to be given that horrible news it was a blighted ovum something that I didn't even know happened to woman . I waited for two weeks to pass naturally and it didn't happen. I feel much better and so happy me and my husband made this decision. I was so scared going into the hospital but it was a piece of cake! I'm posting this to let anyone know I KNOW I was beyond scared!!! And it was EASIER than going to get a tooth pulled. Home now relaxing in zero pain!!! Please don't be scared... Feel free to email me would love to give anyone piece of mind!!!Hope this helps!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"