Breastfeeding

Recommend your Breast Pump!

I am 26 weeks into my pregnancy and plan on breast feeding our daughter.  I would like to also use a breast pump so my DH has the opportunity to feed her and when I return to work that she is still getting the best possible nutrients throughout the day (I work from home so I will be able to pump at any point without trouble). 

I have read Baby Bargains and the section on Breast Pumps did not guide me to which brand I should buy so I figured I would ask here. 

If you are using a breast pump and really like it tell me a little about it (pros/cons, how many times a day/week are using it, time it takes for how many oz....).  Also, does it matter what bottle system you plan on using in relation to your breast pump-if so I plan on using the Playtex bottles.

Thanks in advance for help and wisdom on this subject!

Re: Recommend your Breast Pump!

• I have a lansinoh pump.  Same as the Ameda purely yours pump as far as 'brands'. I work full time, and pump 2-3 times a day depending on the hours I"m working. Takes me about 10 minutes to get 8-10 oz each session.

Pros: Very easy to clean and use. Much cheaper than some other brands.

Cons: replacement parts are online only (at least in my area) so you need to make sure you keep valves, etc on hand for when you lose one down the garbage disposal while washing  Stick out tongue

You can use any bottles with any pump really. I pump into collection bottles at work as they are smaller and easier to carry, then pour into feeding bottles at home. It's a rare woman that pumps exactly what they will feed from each breast every session, so pumping straight into feeding bottles is  a tad overrated, at least IMO.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I love my Medela Freestyle.  It's a small, compact but powerful hands-free pump.  I'm still at home and like that I can wash dishes or fold laundry while pumping ... just don't bend over (I found out the hard way by spilling milk into a load of clean laundry!).  When I return to work, I envision being able to keep on plugging away at the computer while pumping.  I have low supply so am not going to comment on how much I'm able to pump per session, as I don't think that has anything to do with the pump.  It's a strong suction.  It operates on rechargable batteries, so you don't have to be plugged in to use it.  Hence, I've been able to pump in the car on road trips (very beneficial) while LO slept thru a feeding.  I actually like road trips for the ability to help build up my stash, as he only sleeps thru feedings in the car.  I pump about once per day (sometimes miss days) and have only had to recharge the batteries once a month.  This is a pricy pump, but I think it was worth it.  Of course, I've never tried another type of pump, so I have nothing to compare it to.  The LC in the hospital was very impressed with it when she helped me figure out how to use it.  Mine was the first freestyle that she had seen.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have the medela freestyle and I love it. I have never used breast pumps before and it was so easy to figure this one out without even reading the manual. Bit pricey but very compact and convinient and can take it anywhere. I pump 3-4 times a day and only have to recharge the battery like once a week. I cannot imagine how I would have fed my baby who refuses to latch on without this pump. The pump is a saviour.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I love my Ameda Purely Yours.

Pros:

1. Price. I got mine for $175 online.

2. Closed pumping system. You don't have to clean the tubes like you do with other models (including the PIS).

3. Motor comes out of the bag and is compact. Right now, I keep the motor on my nightstand because that is where I pump.

4. Works great. Check out the reviews on Amazon for more info.

Cons:

1. You can only get the parts online or at select places. However, three hospitals in my area carry the parts so if I'm ever in a pinch, I can easily buy the parts there.

I either feed the baby from the bottles that come with the system, pour the milk into a different bottle, or freeze the milk. So, you can use with any bottle that you choose.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I also have an Ameda Purely Yours, and I love it.  I pump twice a day, and get 6-8 oz. in 10-15 minutes.

Something that no one else has mentioned as a plus---because it's a closed system and you don't need to worry about cross-contamination, you can purchase one second hand without worrying.  All you need to do is purchase the Hygienikit, which is around $35, and you're good to go!

• i have the ameda purley yours pum and love it! it's a closed system so no worry about milk going in the tubing, it's super easy to clean, and not to mention a pretty efficient little pump.

the only down side is that you can't find replacement parts in stores so you have to order them online. i plan on stocking up before i go back to work.

as far as bottles i use avent so i need the avent bottle adaptor because they are so wide. but i think a regular sized bottle would work fine by itself.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagethehoneybees:
    i have the ameda purley yours pum and love it! it's a closed system so no worry about milk going in the tubing, it's super easy to clean, and not to mention a pretty efficient little pump.

the only down side is that you can't find replacement parts in stores so you have to order them online. i plan on stocking up before i go back to work.

as far as bottles i use avent so i need the avent bottle adaptor because they are so wide. but i think a regular sized bottle would work fine by itself.

My avent bottles attach to mine fine, that is strange.

• I have the Hygeia Enjoye.  It's the newest breast pump, and came highly recommended by my lactation consultant.  It's a "green" company, so their pumps are FDA approved for sharing and they have a pump recycling program too. 

In terms of bottles, you can pump into any bottle you want (wide mouth or narrow mouth) because the kit comes with a universal bottle adapter (I use Avent bottles myself).

They have  a cool return policy so you can try out the pump and actually return it if you're not happy with it. I don't know of any other companies that have that.  It also has a three year warranty so I know that I'll be covered with this pump for my next baby (all the other warranties I saw when researching were only 1 year).

I'm working full time now so I use it several times a day at work, and it's been comfortable and kept up my supply really well.

https://www.thebreastfeedingshoppe.net/Introducing_Hygeia-.html

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"