Multiples
Options

anyone here a vegetarian?

If so, I am wondering if you have altered your diet to make sure you are getting/got enough nutrients for you and the babies.  I do not eat eggs, I can't stand tofu, and I have lactose issues and can't drink milk. 

I feel bad because with the all day m/s, I haven't been eating as healthy as I used to.  I can't remember the last time I had a spinach salad, avocados, hummus, etc., which used to be big favorites of mine, but I can't stomach them right now.  I know I should just eat what I can tolerate right now, which I am doing, but I am wondering if there's something I should be doing differently once my regular appetite comes back.  I am sure I am not getting enough protein or calcium right now, and that scares me, but it's just so damn hard with the all day m/s.  :(

I will talk to the Peri about this next week, but do any of you have any advice? 

Thanks!

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: anyone here a vegetarian?

• Options
    RobynKRobynK member
    Do you have Dr. Luke's book?  She has food suggestions for vegetarians.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I just ordered it last night, and it'll be here early next week.  Thanks.  :)

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

So you're essentially vegan?  I'm not vegetarian, but I am not much of a meat eater, eggs gross me the eff out (I'll eat them, but only with tons of complaining - they make me gag!), but I do drink milk.

Can you drink goatsmilk? I can't remember if it has lactose in it, but it doesn't have casein, so it might be easier on you. It's very nutritious, in many ways more so than cowsmilk.

Can you hold down oatmeal? Whole grains like slow-cook oatmeal have quite a bit of protein, iron and calcium in them. Quinoa, kamut, oat and wheat bran are other grains you might want to check into.

• Options
    imageMrs. Destructo:

So you're essentially vegan?  I'm not vegetarian, but I am not much of a meat eater, eggs gross me the eff out (I'll eat them, but only with tons of complaining - they make me gag!), but I do drink milk.

Can you drink goatsmilk? I can't remember if it has lactose in it, but it doesn't have casein, so it might be easier on you. It's very nutritious, in many ways more so than cowsmilk.

Can you hold down oatmeal? Whole grains like slow-cook oatmeal have quite a bit of protein, iron and calcium in them. Quinoa, kamut, oat and wheat bran are other grains you might want to check into.

I'm not really vegan because I do eat a little cheese and yogurt (though they give me issues, ugh) and I will eat things with egg in them (like baked goods).  But I am like you.  Eggs have always grossed me the eff out, even as a kid.  Yuck.

I have never tried goats milk (as an adult).  When I was a baby, that is all my mom could give me due to allergic reactions to everything else, but milk is like eggs for me.  I have never liked the taste. 

I can't hold down oatmeal right now, although I used to eat it somewhat frequently.  I am still able to get down whole grain breads and stuff like that.  And I am able to eat beans and rice to get a complete protein, which is good.

I think once I am able to tolerate "regular" foods again, I will be OK.  I just hate that I am not eating enough healthy stuff right now.  Two days ago I had a falafel salad and yesterday I had a veggie burger, so it isn't awful, but I know I could be doing a lot better.

Thanks for the help.

• Options

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian, so I eat eggs and dairy, which I guess is similar to you.  I too had bad m/s during the first 14 weeks of my pg and couldn't stomach too much, so I just ate what I could.  I found that I had to eat about every 1.5-2 hours, which helped the queasiness a little.  If you can handle beans eat up!  They're great for you.  Have you tried nuts now?  They're also really good.  Looking back, after I got my Dr. Luke's book, which highly recommends anyone pg w/ multiples should see a nutritionist, I asked my ob if I should and she said that she didn't think I needed one, but if I wanted a referral she would give it to me.  I now wish that I had taken her up on that. 

I hope you're already taking a prenatal vitamin, but what about extra calcium and iron?  My dr didn't put me on iron until I became anemic, but I still am and wonder if taking it before would have changed anything.  I also take tums for my extra calcium.  Good luck - try to eat what you can and a lot of it.  I hope you start to feel better soon.

• Options

I am a vegetarian.  I second Dr. Luke's book, she has a lot of good vegetarian recipes in there.  That being said I don't know how realistic it will be to get enough protein without either eggs or milk, she does have a section on vegans (I know you're not one, but she does suggest a lot of milk and yogurt) and says that you need to talk with a doctor to make sure you're meeting nutritional needs.

I had a LOT of protein shakes while pg, a lot of milk and cheese too, but I craved those things so I guess I was lucky.  I didn't have any trouble getting enough to eat or gaining weight.  It can be done!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Luckily my insurance covers 12 visits per year to a nutritioonist/dietitian so I will probably make an appointment with one here soon.

I am able to eat some nuts, thankfully.  I buy trail mix from Trader Joe's and try to have a handful or two a day.  I just can't wait to eat all my normal stuff again!

I will ask the Peri about iron and calcium supplements on Thursday.

Thanks, ladies!

• Options

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian.  I have been eating pretty much the same as I was before I got pregnant, just adding in more snacks.  Check out caloriecount.about.com.  I just starting using this website to track my calorie and protein intake and it has been wonderful!  There is an analysis tab you slick on after you added your food for the day and it gives you a "grade" and tells the to total to where you ended the day.  I just added in mine for today and my dinner and snack for tonight and didn't have enough protein or claories yet so I just ate a mushroom Boca Burger and a glass of milk and I am now on track.  It was a worry of mine too that I wasn't getting what I needed and this really has helped.  Oh yea- and it's free!

• Options

I am right there with you. One thing that I have been able to keep down are Powerbars or Balance Bars. I get the super protein ones that are peanut butter and chocolate. Sometimes that is the only thing I eat during the day.

The only thing I ate and kept down yesterday was Sour Patch Kids. I know, its terrible, but there is not much you can do when you can't eat and what you do makes you puke:(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"