High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Fetal fibronectin test came back +

I posted this on the 2nd trimester board and was told I should post here to see if anyone else had any advice or was in the same situation.

So I went in to see my doctor yesterday b/c I was having contractions. She thought I may have been dehydrated so I was told to up my fluid intake to 80oz a day (I may have been doing half). To be on the safe side she gave me a Fetal fibronectin test to determine if I would be at risk to go into preterm labor. The results came back this morning and it was positive. So I am being pulled out of work for the next 2 weeks. The doctor did tell me that the chances are slim that I will actually go into labor but they did want to watch me and make sure.

I am trying hard not to stress which I'm sure could only make matters worse. Has anyone else had this test and it come back positive? If so what was your outcome? I am freaking out b/c I am only 24 weeks and with this pregnancy I tend to think only the worst.

Re: Fetal fibronectin test came back +

• Options
    I have been having them done since 24 weeks and mine have all been negative but a good friend of mine had one come back 3 weeks ago and it was positive and she never went into labor. Usually if it comes back positive they will give you the steroid shots for the babys lungs incase you were to deliver. I have been on bed rest since 24 weeks due to PTL and IC and I have 2 weeks left and they are going to take me off. I would ask your Dr. about the steroid shot. Best of luck,
  • Options

I had a few of these when I was pg. I was told by my OB and the high risk docs that a positive result meant nothing. The only result from that test that is reliable is a negative that gives you 98% chance or so that you WON'T go into labor in the next two weeks. A positive, however, did not indicate at all that you would go into labor.

I wouldn't worry about the + but would ask what the plan is from here on out. Will you be starting meds, put on bedrest/pelvic rest, more frequent appts, steroid shots, etc.

I start dilating/effacing at 24wk and held out until 36wk when I delivered. GL!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    SmileThanks I am feeling a lot better reading about positive experiences after a positive test.
  • Options
    I was also told by several OB's and MFM's that a + FFN meant nothing.  The only result that was conclusive was a negative result.
  • Options
    KadyraKadyra member
    imageMrsSmith81:

I had a few of these when I was pg. I was told by my OB and the high risk docs that a positive result meant nothing. The only result from that test that is reliable is a negative that gives you 98% chance or so that you WON'T go into labor in the next two weeks. A positive, however, did not indicate at all that you would go into labor.

This.  Exactly.

If your doc is really thorough, you'll get a transvaginal ultrasound to check your cervical length.  If it's more than 2cm, your chance of going into labor early is low even with a +FFN.  Yoy can also enquire about steroids.  Unless you have GD or pregestational diabetes, they don't do any harm.  They can be helpful to the baby's lungs and protective of the brain and intestines if you were to go into labor early.

Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"