Stay at Home Moms
Options

Poll: How did you meet your DH/SO?

I've seen it mentioned that people want this board to pick up a bit, so I figured I'd post a poll.  Plus, I always love reading these stories.  :)

So, how did you and your husband/SO meet?

Re: Poll: How did you meet your DH/SO?

• Options

I picked him up at the bar i was bartending at during law school.

A group of guys came in one night- and I choose the quiet one and used a line on him. It was soooo cheesy- but my line had a great success rate before. :) So I used it on him and that was over 9 years ago (married for 6)

Line went something like this--

So, when's your birthday? If you tell me your birthday I will ALWAYS remember it. I just have a great way with numbers and dates. Loved history in school because of the dates. Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492. See, i am great with dates. (ya have to totally ham it up). ..... by the way, do you want one?

that was the jist of it. lol

DH sheepishly said to me, 'did you just ask me out?'

YUP. and that was that.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My DH and I knew about each other through mutual friends, but the first time we talked and exchanged numbers, was at a Bible study! And we have been together ever since, about to be 5 years, and just had our 3 year Wedding Anniversary!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DH and I were fixed up by my brother's ex-wife.  They have a daughter together, so I have stayed in touch with my ex-SIL.  Anyway, she worked across the hall from DH and they became friendly.  The one day I was picking up my niece, my ex-SIL asked if I was dating anyone and all of a sudden yells, "Oh my God!!  I have the perfect guy for you!" and proceeded to tell me all of the reasons she thought I would like him.  In hindsight, she totally hit the nail on the head.

She went to work a couple days later, mentioned me to him and put us in touch with each other.  We spoke on the phone that night (I never laughed so hard in all my life), met and went out that Saturday night, went to lunch two days later, etc.  I knew by the time we were dating for 3 weeks that he was the man I was going to marry.  We'll be celebrating our 3rd wedding anniversary on October 7th.   :)

• Options

I love to tell this story.  We met in a laundromat, but I had a boyfriend at the time and gave him the cold shoulder. 

Two years later, I'm dragged along by my best friend to the birthday party of someone I've never even met.  Turns out it's a sit-down dinner at a Chinese restaurant, and yet there's one seat open -- next to my DH!  I remembered him, he remembered me, and we chatted the whole night.  Strangely, since we last met, we had each:

-- moved from the neighborhood where we met to within a few blocks of each other, eight miles north... we moved on the same day...

-- stopped temping and taken a job at a nonprofit... in the same month... two blocks away from each other

We figured we had some kind of mind-meld going, and eight years later, we are still on the same page.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We were high school best friends. I moved away to college, he stayed home.. We always kept in touch; he always loved me more than a friend, but I never wanted to pursue it more because I didnt want to chance killing our friendship. After I broke off an engagement with my college bf of 2 1/2 years, I moved back home and really re-connected with DH, I realized I was attracted to him in more ways than I could possibly imagine. We both knew exactly what we wanted and have never looked back. We were married that next year :)

• Options
    DH and I met 3 years ago via his cousin. She and I worked together at the time. One day while eating lunch she asked me if I had a boyfriend. I said no, and she asked me if I was looking for one. I just kind of shrugged my shoulders and said not really. She had a picture of him at her desk, and I thought he was kind of cute, so she asked if she could give him my number. She then proceeded to tell me that he didn't speak much English (he's hispanic), so I was worried that we wouldn't be able to communicate much. He called me a few days later and left the most nervous souding message you've ever heard (in beautiful English). I called him later that night, and we talked for 3 hours and eventually met on a double date with his cousin and her husband. We've been married for 1.5 years! Now, if I could just learn to cook mexican food better!
  • Options
    We worked together in college and became best friends for years before we dated.  :)
    DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • Options
    I took a job as a Speech Pathologist at a high school - the only job interview I went on after grad school, even though I didn't want to work with kids!  I fell in love with the campus, and my coworkers, one of them being my Mother in Law...EVERYONE thought that MIL's son and me would be perfect for one another, so they totally set up a birthday party for my SIL and made sure that he would be there.  We met, and then I got the nerve to call him up a few days later.  We went out on an offical date and have been inseparable ever since!  We've been married for 2 years and are expecting our first baby this October. 
  • Options
    kat523kat523 member
    DH and I went to grade school together.  He was two grades ahead of me; but the school (K-8) was only 400 students, so everyone knew eachother.  We went to different hs and colleges and started dating after I graduated college:)
  • Options
    These stories are great!
  • Options

I had recently broken up with my longtime boyfriend in college and my friends took me out one night to try to cheer me up.  We ended up going to one of those cheesy campus entertainment things- it was a hypnotist and I got called on stage and was "hypnotised".  I was feeling really giddy and obnoxious after we left, since it was so out of my comfort zone to be on stage.  We got back to our dorm and I ran into my other friend's room and dove onto her bed, just being silly.  When I stopped giggling long enough, I realized that a friend of hers (my now DH) was on the bed and I had literally jumped on top of him.  Uh.... awkward.  Hi.  Nice to meet you, I just dove on you. 

We both ended up asking our mutual friend about each other and she took it upon herself to set us up at every opportunity.  She still claims responsibility for our marriage.  She's so proud of herself :)

• Options

Ours is kind of a long story.

We went to the same high school, but he is 4 yrs. older than me. I had a few classes with SIL, but we didn't know each other relly well. DH and I knew who one another were, but that was it. We never talked in hs. I do remember seeing him his sr. year and thinking he was cute though.

In 2003, I was a junior, and was introduced to and started talking to/seeing DH's bf. He had a girlfriend, so I ended up being "the other woman." Embarrassed That didn't last long though bc he was honest and said that if I didn't want to sleep with him, I'd probably always just be his "mistress." Ugh. At least he was honest... Anyway, I ran into him a few weeks later at a football game (an away game strangly) and DH was with him. I thought he was cute and a bit dangerous. Then he made me laugh with a line (he said he wanted to be a masseuse so he could legally see women naked), and it was all over. I decided I'd have him one way or another. I made one of the girls I was with move over so I could sit by him that night, and we flirted all through the game. He didn't ask for my number though. Sad He thought I was too young. Probably didn't help that my dad was sitting on the other end of the bleachers giving him the stink eye all night. The next week I had one of my gf's that knew him fairly well & had been friends with SIL, give him my #, but he told her he wouldn't call me bc of my age. He didn't want my parents to be mad. I was determined though. I called him and we met up at a few more football games until I finally won him over and he met my parents and realized my dad wasn't going to kill him. They weren't too excited about the piercings and the age gap though.

In Oct, we will have been together for 6 years, and in Dec. we'll celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Great idea!  In 1998 as a jr. in college I got a part-time job at the dorm cafeteria.  Jeremy was my supervisor and I thought he was cute; he liked me too (though I didn't know it).  One day I saw him eating lunch alone so I went over and sat across from him and struck up a conversation.  We hung out with a mutual friend who was trying to hook us up (she told him I liked him.)  I was trying to get out of a 5 year long-term relationship at the time, so he didn't take our relationship too seriously at first.  We kissed for the first time at a party our friend had.  We then started dating but fought a lot in the beginning since we were working out the baggage we had from previous relationships.  The closer we got, the more we found we had in common.  We moved in together in 2000, were engaged in 2002, married in 2003, and still happy 11 years after we met.  We are eachother's soul mates.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

We went to different colleges but went on the same study abroad program to Copenhagen. I met him on the first day there, on the bus from the aiport to where we were living. There was one seat left and it was next to him - turns out he had been assigned the room across from me at the complex we were living for the year.

I had a BF at the time so DH and I were just really good friends and kept in touch  after we went home even though we lived halfway across the country from each other. A few years later when my BF and I broke up DH had a work project which allowed him to come to Boston and visit me for the 1st time since we had been in Denmark together. That was in February, he moved from Chicago to Boston for our relationship 4 months later and that was pretty much that.

• Options
    We met at college but lost touch for years.  After college he joined the Reserves and started sending email updates to all of us when he was deployed to Afghanistan in 2002.  I wrote to him a couple of times while he was there, and we started emailing regularly after he returned from his second deployment (he was living in Pittsburgh at the time).  After writing to each other for two months, I asked him if he would mind if I visited him in Pittsburgh.  He said he'd love it, so I went.  We had a wonderful weekend together, made plans to see each other the next month, and two months and two visits later he proposed.
  • Options

We have known each other since middle school, he is a year older than me. We always hung out in the same general group of people (as stereotypical as this is the "athletes and dance/cheer girls") but were never great friends and at times I didn't really care for him lol. I thought he was cocky but now I think that was just the baseball player in him, as hes not like that anymore (thankgoodness!) 

As time went on, I began to see how sweet and thoughtful he really was.  I did however have a crush on someone else and when DH asked me to his Junior prom, I turned him down, thinking that my crush was going to ask me. Turns out someone had asked crush to prom and he went with her. DH had already asked someone else and didn't want to break off the date with her since it was just a few days before prom. DH and I started hanging out like the day after prom and fell for each other and have been together ever since!! We've been together over 8 years and will be married for 4 on August 6th!!

• Options
    We met at a bar.  I was a regular and therefore knew the other regulars; one night, a regular says that he wants me to meet his friend.  7 years later we're married.
  • Options
    I saw his band play when I was 16. ?He was 21 and uninterested, but we reconnected when I was 17 and started dating when I was 18.
  • Options
    On a car forum/board. He lived in san diego and I lived here so we met in the middle to have a date
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    We used to work together.
  • Options
    We actually met on match.com. Gotta love the internet!  We dated for about 4 months and then I moved for my job.  We broke up for those 2 years but still kind of kept in touch.  When I decided to move back, I called him and he came to visit me that weekend. He helped me move back, 6 months later were engaged, and then 6 months after that were married.  Now we are a family of 3!
  • Options

imagelyndamf:
    We actually met on match.com. Gotta love the internet!  We dated for about 4 months and then I moved for my job.  We broke up for those 2 years but still kind of kept in touch.  When I decided to move back, I called him and he came to visit me that weekend. He helped me move back, 6 months later were engaged, and then 6 months after that were married.  Now we are a family of 3!

Same here: we met through online, internet dating!!!  :)

My DH is 5 years older than me and was participating in online dating after years of not being able to date properly due to his hectic work schedule.  I was doing it because my friends forced me to... I needed to get back out there after a very upsetting break-up, during my first year working after college so, I did.  DH was the 3rd guy I connected with online and we talked on the phone/email for 6 months before our first date (I was living in another city but was about to move to the city he was in for a new job).  That was in 2003.  It was almost love at first sight and we were married 2 years later in 2005. 

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• Options

I was a reporter covering the murder of a park ranger. I interviewed DH, a friend of the victim, as part of the story.

• Options
    We met on a blind date.  DH's cousin's MIL was my co-worker.  She set us up.  DH and I just celebrated 3 years of marriage and the cousin and his wife (the one whose mother set us up) are now divorced.  DH and I joke that at least one good marriage came out of his cousin's relationship.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DH and I met through a mutual friend in the early years of high school.At first he really annoyed me lol!!But after a while we hung out constantly in our "clique" (the smoking alternative kids) and were always together.We both started seeing other people, in fact he became good friends with my ex and was the only dude invited to my first baby shower!!

He loved me since we were 16, he told my MOM, and she actually kept it a secret for years.(yes my friends STILL hang out with my mom even if I'm not around!!)But he was always there for me, I realized while sooo unhappy in my old relationship that he was the person I bragged about to people, he was the one I thought the most of in the world.And he has proved to be my best friend and soul mate.He still annoys me sometimes:) but I could not ask for a more honorable hard- working husband and father.Weve now "been" together for 4 yrs and just got hitched this june!!!

• Options

We technically met at a dr office where he was a medical assistant(he was thinking about med school at the time) and I was a patient. I went to the dr and he checked me in and took my vitals and we talked a little but I didn't think much about it. I thought he was cute but I had just been accepted to a study abroad program for the following semester so that was all I was thinking about. He didn't ask for my number(He told me later he was too nervous and thought I was too pretty for him). Anyway, he went home and told his sister about this girl he met at work and when he told her my name she got so excited because she knew me. (SIL and I went to HS together and had several classes together and hung out some. I knew she had an older brother(he is 5 yrs older than us) but had never met him because he traveled playing drums with a band a lot when we were in HS.) She had lost my number when she got a new phone but we ran into each other in the mall about 3 days later and she asked if I remember the guy at the dr office that he was her brother and wanted to know if he could have my number. I gave it to her and he called that night and we talked for 4 hours. We went out for the first time the next night and were engaged 4 weeks later and married 9 months later.  We have been together almost 5 years and will be married for 4 years on August 6.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Todd and I met online.... dated for about 9 months, had a HORRIBLE breakup, years passed, we reconnected online (yahoo chat! lol) got together a week or so later, I moved in about 2 months later and 6 months later we moved to a new house, which he proposed this way

2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

My best friend and his friend were dating. I was getting over a breakup and they conned me into going out with them. I didn't want to go AT ALL, and then they snuck in there and invited his single friend too. We've been inseparable. I was moving out of my old house and into a new one and he was moving out of his old house (he had his mom living with him and she had just started getting her own checks) so we moved in together after a month. ha.

but hey, it all worked out!

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    In a bar and through the friend of a friend, of course, lol.  My good friend "S" had/has a good friend "T" (who is now my good friend as well!) who was dating this guy "J" and they both had a friend named "M".  One night S, J and M came to the bar I was at for karaoke.  "M" walked into the bar, saw me and told his buddy, "I want that one,"  lol.  I was in a rocky marriage at the time, but we all started hanging out together.  When ex and I split, "M" and I got together and now he's "DH" Smile  We joke that he came in looking for a good time and wound up with a wife instead, lol.
    DD#1~8/17/96------DS~10/24/05 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"