North Carolina Babies
Options

When you pack for a trip..

Does it feel like you have to take the whole house? I can't imagine having 2 kids.  We are leaving Saturday for Williamsburg and Va Beach, and I feel like I have to pack the whole house up. We used to share one carry on size bag, and now I am at 4 bags, and that is without half of the baby stuff I need(formula, diapers, bottles, wipes, bottle cleaner, gas drops, sound machine)...I am packing today and tomorrow, and then packing the car tomorrow night. Oh how I long for the days of throwing some things in a bag and hitting the road!!

And we are staying at my parents, who have a crib, highchair, exersaucer, bathtub, stroller, etc. I don't know what I would do without them, we'd have to rent a u-haul!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When you pack for a trip..

• Options
    It was like that for us when we went to the beach a month ago!  Craziness.  I am dreading packing in a week when we go visit my parents.  They also have lots of baby related stuff that we won't have to pack, but it's still going to be a LOT that we do have to pack!
  • Options

This is going to sound backwards, but with 3 kids, we have found we actually pack LESS then when the girls were babies.  Partly because the girls are older now, but I think partly because we've figured out that we don't have to take everything for Jeremiah like we thought we did for the girls.  As you travel more, you'll find yourself taking less and less with you.  LOL!

But, I do agree how it feels like you're taking the entire house.  When the girls were babies, my inlaws used to joke that we needed to rent a u-haul just to come visit them.  And coming home was even worse because of all the stuff my MIL would buy for them.  Don't forget you can buy some of the stuff once you get there if you don't want to have to pack it...diapers, wipes, formula, etc.

Good luck! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I pack ALOT less for myself nowadays. AT has his own suit case, and then I put all the form, bottes, etc in a paper grocery bag....easier to pack it all.

I also use the bumbo for a lot of stuff.....like a highchair if there isnt one. I also just take a whole pack of diapers with me just to be safe. GL!

• Options

Yes, we pack a lot of stuff!  None of our parents have baby items, so we end up packing the PNP, high chair, stroller, not to mention an endless number of diapers/wipes/clothes, etc. 

My 2 bags have now been dwindled down to a half a bag b/c DS needs the room for his stuff.  Not to mention a 120 lb dog that travels everywhere with us! 

DH  keeps kidding me that when we have another one kid, we will have to get a mini-van.  I don't want to cave (and I'd never tell him this) but I think he's right! 

• Options
    YES - The whole house and then some! We went to the mountains a few weeks ago and the beach last week, and it took me forever to pack for Jack. I kept thinking of one more thing that he *might* need. And of course, we didn't use half the stuff that we packed, but I wanted to be prepared just in case!
  • Options
    imageMrsJones2005:

This is going to sound backwards, but with 3 kids, we have found we actually pack LESS then when the girls were babies.  Partly because the girls are older now, but I think partly because we've figured out that we don't have to take everything for Jeremiah like we thought we did for the girls.  As you travel more, you'll find yourself taking less and less with you.  LOL!

I totally agree -- the more you travel the less you pack.  My last trip with Alex we took his pack-n-play and a  diaper bag that had his beach toys and we also took his wagon.  His clothes fit in the suitcase with mine and he eats people food now.  That was ALL I took.  The red wagon could have easily been left behind - but it was the beach and we planed on taking lots of walks.

You will also find that they are in a new place they dont get as bored as easy (at least at this age) because everything is new to them. 

• Options

The only "extra" stuff I am packing is the play mat and the bouncy seat and a few toys. Everything else is just her "stuff" it is crazy. Diapers, wipes, formula, bottles,bottle brush, teething tablets, tylenol, gas drops, clothes (several outfits, onesies, pjs), bathing suit, hat, sunglasses, hooded towels, wash clothes, soap, powder, lotion,baby sunscreen, bulb syringe, saline spray, hair brush.

Then you've got the sound machine, the swaddle, the soothing doll, extra blanket. Spoon, rice cereal. Ugg. Pure craziness. I got her her own bag and now it is just the food items and bottles I need to pack.

• Options
    imagedbertagni:

The only "extra" stuff I am packing is the play mat and the bouncy seat and a few toys. Everything else is just her "stuff" it is crazy. Diapers, wipes, formula, bottles,bottle brush, teething tablets, tylenol, gas drops, clothes (several outfits, onesies, pjs), bathing suit, hat, sunglasses, hooded towels, wash clothes, soap, powder, lotion,baby sunscreen, bulb syringe, saline spray, hair brush.

Then you've got the sound machine, the swaddle, the soothing doll, extra blanket. Spoon, rice cereal. Ugg. Pure craziness. I got her her own bag and now it is just the food items and bottles I need to pack.

when she gets a little older/you travel more, you'll definitely pack less.

henry and i are at my sister's for a week, and i brought 4 outfits, 4 pairs of jammies, his sound machine, a few toys, a booster seat and his cloth diapers/wipes. i packed for the 2 of us in 1 carry-on size bag. it used to take the whole trunk! we've been traveling at least once a week for the past 2 months, and every time i pack less. it's awesome now!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"