Parenting

Can you negotiate at a body shop?

I need to get a repair done on the front end of my car from a stupid fender bender. I've already gotten an estimate at the dealership for $1,300.

I'm going to another smaller mom and pop kind of body shop today for another estimate. Is it appropriate to try to negotiate the price for a better deal or is haggling going to be frowned upon? Knowing that I've already got the $1,300 estimate at the dealership makes me want to go somewhere smaller and just straight up offer them $1,000. Would that be tacky?

Re: Can you negotiate at a body shop?

• Nope, not tacky.

We just had something fixed and they wanted $160 we got them to $120

• Estimates are typically based on set labor costs and cost of materials. See if they're using aftermarket parts. This can save you some $$. But, costs are not normally open for haggling. (My dad owned a body shop for 30 years, so that's where the advice is coming from)
  • Loading the player...
  • The theory around our house is that EVERYthing's negotiable.  Never hurts to try!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you can figure out how much the actual part costs you should be able to negotiate labor costs.  I doubt you can negotiate at a dealership since they are most likely union workers.  GL
  • dpdwdpdw member

imageBellisimo:
    The theory around our house is that EVERYthing's negotiable.  Never hurts to try!

Ditto.  If they need the business (which all companies do in the economy) they'll be more open to negotiate. 

• imagehopefulmom:
    If you can figure out how much the actual part costs you should be able to negotiate labor costs.  I doubt you can negotiate at a dealership since they are most likely union workers.  GL

I have the estimate in front of me. 

Total labor: $797

Total parts: $308

Additional costs: $234 (I think this is paint, misc. materials, hazardous materials disposal, etc.) 

• You can also look around to see if you can get the parts yourself for cheaper.  Then buy them, but have the mechanics fix what's wrong with the parts you got.
    imageimage
  • REOMREOM member

imageKersbear:
    You can also look around to see if you can get the parts yourself for cheaper.  Then buy them, but have the mechanics fix what's wrong with the parts you got.

Ditto this.

Get the name of the parts from the estimate, and call around and try to buy them yourself. If you are feeling really ambitious, you can also try calling junkyards.

Good luck!

DD1 12.18.06 DD2 9.18.08 DD3 EDD 5.10.2012 BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"