Dallas-Fort Worth Babies

Have any of your little ones had cradle cap?

I thought this only happened with infants, but I googled and I guess toddlers can get it too.

Ainsley has one of the nastiest cases of dandruff I've seen. I have no idea how to treat it and I'm on the fence about bringing her to the pedi for it.

She seems fine, but it just looks like it would be almost painful and at the very least itchy. I have to move her hair to see it and she gets upset, so I don't even know if she'll let me get close enough to do anything.

Thoughts? TIA :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Have any of your little ones had cradle cap?

• Jack had it HORRIBLY when he was 2 - 4 weeks old.  I just made sure I lightly scrubed it with a washcloth when we did baths, and then brushed as much of the flakes out when it dried.  It lasted about 2 weeks.  :(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Marley had it at around four months and I just put a little baby oil on her head while I washed her body and then washed it out at the end of her bath, gently scrubbing with a wash cloth. I don't know how much hair A has, but that method seemed to work well.?

HTH?

• Loading the player...
  • Taylor had it BAD when she was a baby.  I used Head & Shoulders and it cleared up in 3 days.  Worked like a charm.
  • DD had it on her scalp and earlobes when she was about a month old. I put olive oil on it and let it sit for a few minutes, then washed it out and used a soft brush to brush off as much as I could. Did that several times and it went away on its own.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • A had it from about 1 - 4 months old. I HATED it.

I would douse her head in baby oil and then rub in circles  with her baby hairbrush to loosen the flakes. I would brush for about 10 minutes, then wash it out. The oil takes a couple of washings to get out of her hair but it it worth it!

I have also heard of people using Head and Shoulders on babies, but we never had to do that.

That sucks that she is getting it so late... it will be harder since she has more hair :(

• My youngest, Wyatt, has had it since he was about 1 month old.  He's 2 1/2 now.  I really don't know what to do about it either.  When he was a baby I bought that stuff that is supposed to help loosen it, it didn't do much.  I just make sure that when I wash his hair I scrub his little head while I am getting the shampoo lathered in his hair.  He's not old enough for me to use the dandruff type shampoos so I just use regular kids Suave - both my boys use it.  I suspect that the reason he still has the scales on his scalp is because he has eczema.  I don't know though.  I am actually about to take him to a Dermatologist to get his skin checked out and I'll have them look at his scalp as well.  My poor baby gets eczema spots all the time and he has what the Pedi thinks is ring worm...I have NO CLUE as to how he got that.  (We don't have any pets and that's supposedly how they get it the most.)  But the ring worm is not going away, so I am thinking that's not what it is.  I'll let you guys know what the Derm tells me though!!
  • imagemikey&amie:
    Taylor had it BAD when she was a baby.  I used Head & Shoulders and it cleared up in 3 days.  Worked like a charm.

That's what we used on T as well, and poof, it went away.  I got the Target generic bottle.

• imageCreamyMonster:

imagemikey&amie:
    Taylor had it BAD when she was a baby.  I used Head & Shoulders and it cleared up in 3 days.  Worked like a charm.

That's what we used on T as well, and poof, it went away.  I got the Target generic bottle.

I thought about that, but I wasn't sure if it was safe on babies. Taylor and Tessa seem fine ;)

• imageJessibell:
    imageCreamyMonster:

imagemikey&amie:

I thought about that, but I wasn't sure if it was safe on babies. Taylor and Tessa seem fine ;)

Heehee, yes, I think they're quite adorable.  And Miss A too :)
  • imagemikey&amie:
    imageJessibell:
    imageCreamyMonster:

imagemikey&amie:

With all her hair, H & S would probably be your best bet. Just watch for "Rarr" side effects. Stick out tongue

• imageJessibell:
    imageCreamyMonster:

imagemikey&amie:

pediatrician said this or selson blue every 3 days. Lightly scrub with brush or rag. We just bought another baby brush for this purpose. Worked great!
  • DS had a bad case of it when he was about a month old. Pedi asked if I was using Johnsons baby soap. He said it was the problem and to use Cetiphil instead. DS hasn't had a problem since.
    I will kick cancer's ass Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Dx Breast Cancer 4/2012 Invasive ductal carcinoma triple negative Currently on Taxol, start A & C in August
  • imagemikey&amie:

My pedi recommended H&S as well.  Worked great to get rid of DS cradle cap.

• imagemustangsallie:
    imagemikey&amie:
    imageJessibell:
    imageCreamyMonster:

imagemikey&amie:

With all her hair, H & S would probably be your best bet. Just watch for "Rarr" side effects. Stick out tongue

Oh, too late for that, hee - her new favorite thing at daycare is to walk around the room with a toy plate in her hands yelling "RARR!" every so often.  She's done it once at home too, silly girl.  That's my baby wolverine!  Wink

• Ok I am late but my daughter had that really bad when she was a baby and we used Cradle Cap made from Disney. Its a green bottle with Winnie the Pooh and it made it come off really easy. I would use a comb and sure enough she was asleep after awhile.
  • imagemikey&amie:

Ditto this.  DS had a horrible case when he was 2 weeks old & a little H&S made it go away!

• My ped said head and shoulders just make sure not to get it in your childs eyes.
  • My DD has it and she's 20 months old. I noticed it yesterday when I was putting her hair in a pony tail... it is a mild case but she has it nonetheless.

I plan on using a soft bristle brush when I was her hair to losen it up and a tiny bit of H&S. :)

Kristi | mom of twins & singleton | lover of JUNK | K.Stone Photography | Only Prettier Boutique
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"