Preemies
Options

HELP! I need a clone!!

So after 2 1/2 weeks in the NICU, Carter has been doing SO well!  I get there today and they want me to bring in his carseat for the carseat challenge and so he can go home ASAP.  Well....the problem is that my brother's wedding is on Saturday and now I am SO torn.  I actually asked them if there was anyway to keep him there til Sunday.

I mean - as a preemie he's not supposed to be around ANYONE for 2 months...let alone 200 people at a wedding who have just been DYING to see/touch him.  Plus I don't want to take away from the attention on my bro and his fiance that day.   I don't want to miss my brother's wedding!  And of course I will NOT leave my new, preemie baby, who will have only been home for a day or two - alone with ANYONE (even though MIL has already offered to babysit).

I feel like such a horrible mom/sister right now.

Re: HELP! I need a clone!!

• Options

While I agree that taking him to a big family function like a wedding is probably not a great idea, if you are going to take him out in public RIGHT NOW is the best time to do it because it is not RSV season.

I was told by two neonatologists, the RN's in the NICU, our pulmonologist and our pediatrician to get out in open air spaces like the mall and other fun things because once RSV season starts you will live like a hermit for at least 6 months.  They were so right, and we got both my boys out the same weekend they got home from the NICU, and Cameron was on oxygen.  Best thing we ever did right after our time in the NICU.

• Options
    mcdevmcdev member
    I hope for your sake the doctors will work with you. ?I would have been a nervous wreck if put in a situation to bring my baby out to such a big event so soon. ?Not just for the germ reasons, but for the new mother reasons as well! ?Our NICU was very accomodating with us when it was time to bring our babies home. ?If they know ahead of time your conflict, they may be able to arrange it so that insurance won't necessarily know *why* the baby is in one more day.
    Claire Avery born at 32 weeks on 10/25/06 Keira Leigh born at 27 weeks on 4/29/08
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"