North Carolina Babies
Options

Bottle feeding BF babies

I have several questions as I prepare for him to start daycare in mid-August.

How did you send bottles to daycare? I was thinking of one of those cooler type lunchboxes?

What is the most amount of oz your LO has eaten from a bottle?

If you froze milk, how may oz did you freeze in a bag?  I have been doing 4oz but it seems to make more sense to freeze enough for 2 bottles. (hence the ? above so that I can get an idea of how many oz would make 2 bottles 3 or 6 months from now)

Hm, I thought I had more.  I may...but this will do for now.  Thanks for your help!

My sweet boy :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bottle feeding BF babies

• Options

The most Nate ever took from a bottle was 5 oz.  I took the bottles in a little cooler thing, though it didn't really matter since his daycare is so close to our house.

I froze milk in quantities of 2 oz to 5 oz.  The larger bags were really hard to defrost though.  I would leave them in the fridge over night and then I still had to put them in water in the morning to defrost them.  Next time I don't think I'll go over 4 oz in a bag.

• Options
    our LO's are almost the same age.
    i should be thinking about these things too.
    i am BF and supplementing. (i only make ~2.5oz at a time)
    the most jude has eaten at a time is 6oz, but normally just 5oz.
    the most i freeze is 3oz. most are 2-2.5oz. (duh, b/c that's how much i can pump at once)

as for taking to daycare, i plan to just ask them how they prefer it.
    GL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I pack Aubrey's bottles in a cooler type bag. Our drive to her day care is 35-40 minutes and a regular bag with an ice pack didn't keep them very cold. Plus, if I don't go straight home after work I need a way to keep them cold until I get home.

Aubrey has been drinking 6 oz of breast milk for the past month and a half.

I usually freeze milk in 6 oz portions. I put it in the fridge at night before I go to bed and it is usually ready to go by the next night when I fix her bottles. I used to store in 4 oz portions, but I was using so many storage bags that I changed to 6 oz. I still mix that 6 oz into a couple of bottles so her bottles are some frozen and some fresh.

• Options
    I normally put 5-6 oz in Rosalyn's bottles.  I put her bottles in an insulated bag with ice packs.  It's really not that necessary b/c DC is 5 min from our house, but I go ahead and do it anyways.  When I freeze, I'll normally do about 5-6 oz but I did notice over the weekend though that when I defrosted only 4-5 oz, it didn't fully thaw over night.  So I might start freezing smaller amts. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks for all your input!  I hope I can keep up with him, but the body works in strange ways and I am sure I will magically start making more - I have actually started noticing an increase lately so that is good.  Ben only takes 2.5 oz at a time right now, we tried 3oz but he wouldn't finish.  I guess he just eats more often to make up for it - 4 bottles a day but then it is a food fest when I get home at night.  I think I will just keep on with my 4oz bags though, sounds like that is probably my best bet and I didn't even consider that I could mix them with fresh milk, who knows why I didn't think about that.

I am also embarssed to admit that I didn't consider that daycare has a refridgerator :) haha  I was just imagining these bottles being out all day if I didn't bring a cooler!

My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageAngelPack:
    I am also embarssed to admit that I didn't consider that daycare has a refridgerator :) haha  I was just imagining these bottles being out all day if I didn't bring a cooler!

I have to admit that made me giggle!  :)  It's funny how foreign daycare feels when you haven't dealt with it before.  It will become easy & routine very fast, I promise! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"