Special Needs

Group Speech Therapy?

DS#1 has a significant speech delay.  He has been receiving EI services since age 2 and is about to transition to the IU/EI program.  We haven't yet received the results of the evaluation from the IU which was completed last week.  However our SLP through EI stated she thought he would most likely qualifty for only speech therapy (she used to work in the program he was evaluted for) and saw no concerns in other areas.  Our private SLP mentioned yesterday that some kids in the IU only receive group speech therapy and therefore suggested we keep individual speech therapy as well (which pending approval for medical assistance we were planning on doing). 

How does group speech therapy work?  I just can't picture how each child gets individual attention.  I'm guessing it'll be either 30 or 60 minutes (according to my two SLP).  Has anyone had group speech therapy and found it effective?

I'm still waiting to hear if he qualifies for medical assistance so he can continue seeing our private SLP.  The application process has been much longer than I anticipated!

TIA!
Heather

Wonderful DS#1 9/14/06** Wonderful DS#2 3/29/08**

Natural m/c 3/28/10 5w6d** Natural m/c 9/4/10 5w4d**

BFP: 2/27/12. u/s showed blighted ovum at 9wks Natural m/c started 4/11, cytotec 4/13/12 (at 12 wks). **

First appt with RE 5/7. Testing complete. Dx: luteal phase defect

BFP 10/25/12. u/s on 11/16 confirms heartbeat image

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Group Speech Therapy?

• Aunti- Right now, the diagnosis is expressive speech delay. They have discussed the possibility of apraxia but neither SLP feels comfortable making that diagnosis yet (we have an evaluation with a developmental pedi is February).

Thank you for your comments!

Wonderful DS#1 9/14/06** Wonderful DS#2 3/29/08**

Natural m/c 3/28/10 5w6d** Natural m/c 9/4/10 5w4d**

BFP: 2/27/12. u/s showed blighted ovum at 9wks Natural m/c started 4/11, cytotec 4/13/12 (at 12 wks). **

First appt with RE 5/7. Testing complete. Dx: luteal phase defect

BFP 10/25/12. u/s on 11/16 confirms heartbeat image

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Hi! My DD had individual speech 4x weekly through EI, but only qualified for group 2x weekly when she transitioned to CPSE. We continued with a private SLP 2x weekly for a while for one on one. We did find the group dynamic to be good for my girl, as she is an only, and didn't have alot of interaction with same age peers. We got an apraxia dx pretty early on...she was about 27 months old. It proved to be incorrect, but was very helpful in getting services. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • My ds has ASD, but he was only eligible for group speech once a week. As this is appropriate for his speech with peers/social skills, we kept our private speech therapist as well. I saw some of the things they were working on in his group speech and alot of it was things he already had mastered quite well. This was the main reason we kept his private ST as well, so she could work with him more on his individual goals.
  • When I was in elem. school I saw a speech therapist (through the school) with another little boy.  We both had a similar issues (pronouncing certain constonants) and so we worked on the same exercises, taking turns.  It was actually pretty nice- I didn't feel like the only one with an issue, and it was more fun to do it with another kid.  Obviously those social reasons aren't as significant for a 3 year old but I wouldn't write it off immediately.
  • It depends on the child, the other children in the group, the therapist, and what needs to be worked on.  Sometimes you'll have, say, two little boys with almost the same issue.  If they're paired up, it can be pretty nice to work on that issue together, and the therapist gets some nice, realistic views into how the child communicates with peers.  Social reasons ARE significant for 3-year olds, contrary to what was suggested above, as this is when kids are developing their personalities, their communication styles, their play skills, their friendships, etc.  Also, sometimes kids with different strengths are put together, and that can work out really nicely too if done correctly.  However, if it's a random pairing of children, or too large a group, I think it can make therapy a little difficult to really hone in on each child's needs.  I'm an SLP, and I've done it both ways, and both can definitely work, but it really depends on SO many factors.  I'd say go with it, and your SLP will know rather easily if it's working out or not (and she'll change things accordingly, I'm sure).  Hope that helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"