Two Under 2
Options

Reactions from family and friends?

What kind of reaction did you get when you announced #2? ?Everyone was SO excited when we shared our pregnancy with DS, and my parents, brother and sister were thrilled when I told them about this baby- but I'm anticipating some mixed reactions from extended family and friends this time. ?I just think some of our family will be shocked that we're having another already. ?

Just curious- did you get many reactions like that, or was everyone supportive and excited? ?

the bug & bee blog
(read it. you know you want to.)
anderson . september 2008
vivian . february 2010
mabel . august 2012
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Reactions from family and friends?

• Options
    Both sets of our parents were thrilled, but when I told my sister she said "wow, you are turning into a baby factory"......ummm thanks?  My kids are 23 months apart. 
  • Options
    My dad is ecstatic, he can't have enough grandkids and this one will be #5 in three years. My mom is freaking, of course, because we weren't expecting this LO and are going to have to do some financial rearranging to make it work, but she's happy for us. My brother is ambivilant, and is wife is SUPER excited for us. So far most everyone has been just really excited. I'm not looking forward to telling DH's judgy grama this weekend, her reaction is the only one making me nervous, but I"m not worried about telling the rest of his family.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Joe and Ashley ~ June 16, 2007 ~ Olivia Rae ~ May 12, 2008 ~ 9:06 pm ~ 8lbs 4oz ~ 20.5 inches ~ Miscarriage of twins ~ April 16, 2009 at 6 weeks. ~ Surprise BFP 6/23/09 13DPO ~ Eleanor Rose ~ February 18, 2010 ~ 6lbs 15oz ~ 20 inches ~ Caroline Ruth ~ February 19, 2013 ~ 6lbs 12 oz ~ 19 1/4 inches

Our family is complete!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I got a lot of side eyes and suprised looks.  Wait until people hear about the next one Confused
  • Options
    most have been super excited for us.  my stepdad just stared at me when i told him and he said, "OK."  uh...  i just looked at him b/c he got teary eyed when we told him about #1 and then we got NADA w/ this news.  i was disappointed in that reaction, but what can i do...
  • Options
    My moms response was "I am not surprised"  We were very open about the fact that we went our kids very close together.
    Wedding 6.18.04 Cole 11.20.06 Gavin 3.31.08 Parker 07.15.10 Logan 04.03.12
  • Options
    My family was excited!  My and my Dh were more shocked LOL
    Nathan Thomas, C-section (frank breech), September 22, 2008 Maren Anne, VBAC, April 6, 2010 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    my family and friends were shocked only b/c it took fertility treatments and four years to have my now one year old DS...so this last baby was a WOW! :) they were happy though, but anxious for me bc they'll be 14 mo apart.
  • Options

My family is excited, although they remind me all the time that I'm going to have my hands full. And now that #2 is closer to arriving-lots of advice on what DS needs to do before his sister gets here (including potty training-he'll be 18 months).

My friends are more of a mixed bag, one asked me if we believe in birth control, another called us rabbits. But few of them have really settled down anyway so they might not "get it".

• Options
    My ILs were great, my parents had a negative reaction, but more having to do with the fact that we are now 3500 miles away from them (moved when DS was 10 months) and my mom is sad not to be here...strange way of showing it, but what are you going to do???
  • Options
    NannaNanna member
    Almost everyone was really supportive, but we never made a secret of the fact we wanted our kids close in age. ?We did have a few people give a pause before congratulating us once we told them, so I'm guessing they were using the time to absorb and potentially censor themselves, but everyone was really cool about it.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Surprised, but happy. Their reactions were more positive than my own was in the beginning - I freaked out!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I thought we would hear some negative comments or get the side eyes, but we only got excitement and support.  It was lovely!  Same from our friends!

The only negative comment I got was from a neighbor and I could care less.  GL telling family and friends.  If you show your excitement, they shouldn't say anything.  If you show fear and that you are nervous, you might hear something.

• Options

How far apart will they be?

Your hands are going to be full...

Yes reactions have been interesting to saw the least! 

• Options

Surprisingly enough, the reactions we've gotten so so far have been very positive. We've also been very clear in the fact that we wanted our kids close together. My dad was super excited. He loves his grandkids :)

We went into the announcing expecting some negativity, though. Maybe that's why the reactions seemed so good :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My side of the family were THRILLED but I also come from a large family.  MIL seemed surprised but I know they were thrilled I just don't know why they were surprised. I think something gave them the impression that were were done after baby #1.  My babies will be about 16 months apart.  I wonder what the reaction will be if we have another. 
  • Options
    Everyone was very excited, but all friends and not immediate family thought it was an accident. Nope, we planned it this way!
  • Options

everyone was happy but their excitement was shock at first. no one knew it was in our plan to have babies so close together. honestly, we didn't have a plan!

i had just announced my layoff less than a month earlier so it was odd timing which worked out perfectly! i became a sahm!! 

• Options
    I got mostly negative. People saying I am always pregnant, telling DH not to go in a room with me cause I will get pregnant, people even asked if we were going to keep the baby! It got real annoying. And even worse when people came to visit me after I had DD and were asking if I was pregnant yet.
  • Options

From both my mom and my dad I got "You are going to be really busy. . .(pause) . . .oh, congratulations dear".

We havn't told DH's family yet, because we will be seeing them in a couple of weeks and wanted to tell in person, so we'll see.  I think his mom at least will be excited because DH and SIL are 3 yrs apart and she has always said she wanted them closer.

• Options

My close fam was super excited.  Close friends were too.  I have some family (not close to them at all) that still haven't even said congrats...oh well over it.  We are excited so that is all the matters.  Now at work is a different story - My boss - super excited (she has a lot of years between her DD and DS).  But everyone else is like whatever.  I don't need them to jump up and down but I actually didn't think alot of them knew - until they say oh do you know what you are having. 

DH's mom could really seem to careless.  She is so involved in her own drama.

• Options
    For me, everyone was real excited and supportive.  I never had any doubts though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"