Birth Stories
Options

A LOOONG awaited birth story...(long)

I finally have a free minute to write my birth story.  Brace yourself its kinda long.

On Friday June 12, my husband and I were enjoying dinner when I started to have contractions. They weren't hurting me to much so I went to bed.  I woke up at 2:30 am and was in pain.  I started to time my contractions and they were 6-7 minutes apart.  I waited awhile longer to wake my husband.  Finally at 4:00 I woke him to have him time my contractions. Handed him the stopwatch and he fell back asleep. I was so mad and just walked out of the room. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and woke him at 5:00 and told him it was time to head to the hospital as my contractions were now 4-5 minutes apart. 

We got checked into the hospital on Saturday morning at about 5:30. They checked my progress and I was dialated to 3 cm.  (Thursday at my appt I was dialated to 1.5cm)  I was excited I had made progress.  To speed the process they had me walk the halls.  My contractions were now 3 minutes apart.  I walked for an hour and at 8:30 was sent back to my room to wait for the doctor.  The doctor finally arrived at 10:00 and did an internal.  I had dialated to a 4.  I was so discouraged.  He then decided to give me a shot of morphine to ease the pain to get some sleep.  I got the shot about 11:30 and slept for an hour and a half.  So at 1:00 I was up again waiting for the doctor to return from the gym.  By this time I was so exhausted from being awake so long. 

The doctor returned at 1:30 and sent me home as I was only dialated to a 4. He told me I could be back in a half hour, 2 days, or 2 weeks. So we went home at about 2:00 and I took 2 tylenol to ease the pain to get some rest.  I slept for about 1.5 hours. When I woke up I could hardly move.  My husband started to time my contractions again and they were 3-4 minutes apart.  So he thought it would be a great idea to do some walking. I regret agreeing to his idea. So we went to the local school to walk around the track.  Every 10 steps I was having a contraction.  So I told him I wanted to go back home. Finally we went home in just enough time to go to the bathroom. Meanwhile my husband thought it would be a good idea to call the hospital and told them we didnt want to be that couple that gets sent home twice.  They told him the doctor thought we would be back today.  So we decided to head to the hospital once again. I got checked in at about 7:15 and once I was in the room I had about 5 nurses in the room immediately.

By 8:15pm I had my IV and epidural. OH the epidural was AMAZING!!!  I was finally able to get some rest!  At 9:45pm the doctor came in and broke my water.  (At this point I lose all sense of time)  I was able sleep a bit with all the nurses coming in.  I was put on oxygen due to the heart rate of the baby dropping during a contraction.  They thought maybe the cord was wrapped around her neck.  My husband fell asleep on the couch and I was woken by some of the worst contractions I have ever felt.  It was 11:00 and my epidural had worn off.  I woke DH and he got the nurse and told them I could feel everything, including my legs.  The nurse gave me 2 more cc's of the epidural and NOTHING was happening. So finally she got the anesthesiologist  back in the room and she gave me a booster. She noticed that where the the IV hooks to the catheter in my back wasn't connected correctly so all the medicine I was 'recieving' was running onto the bed.  Once she fixed it, I was in heaven!!! 

Finally at 1:30am Sunday morning I was dialated to 10 cm and they told me it was time to push. After 24.5 hours of labor, at 3:09am on Sunday June 14 I had a beautiful baby girl. Lauryn Luree weighed 7lbs 3/4 ounces and was 18.5 inches long.  She is absolutely perfect.

First Family Photo

Re: A LOOONG awaited birth story...(long)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"