2nd Trimester
Options

Is 26 weeks too early for mat pics?

My wedding photographer has offered us a free maternity session, which I'd love to take advantage of. But he's based in Richmond, where my family lives, and I'm three hours away. I'd really like to limit my trips home in the 3rd trimester - I'm dealing with RLS off and on as it is and muliple 3-hour car rides just don't seem fun. We're already planning on going home to visit the fam over the long Labor Day weekend and I'd love to try to schedule the shoot then but I'll only be 26 weeks - too early?

I'm also going home the weekend of Oct. 17th for my shower. I'll be 32 weeks then, which I know is probably a better timeframe for mat pics, but I'm afraid it might be too hectic to fit both shower and shoot in all in one weekend.

The other two possible weekends for the pics would be Oct. 3rd (30 weeks) and Halloween weekend (34 weeks), but both would involve yet a 3rd trip home to Richmond in two months - something I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

Feeback from those who've had mat pics done?

Re: Is 26 weeks too early for mat pics?

• Options
    Leap08Leap08 member
    I have a friend who is a photographer and does maternity pictures. She likes to do them during your sixth month. So, now I don't think 26 weeks is too early.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am maternity/newborn/child/family photographer and YES, 26 weeks is way too early.  I do them only between 32-36 weeks.  I just did my sister's maternity pics 2 weekends ago and she was 35 weeks, the perfect size.  If you click on my blog down at the bottom, you can see she actually looks pregnant and not just chubby.  I recommend waiting. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

coming from a photographer - i usually like to wait until the 30's unless it's a multiple pregnancy.  but it really depends on how much of a bump you have. if it's nice and round, i'd say go for it. 

i'm doing mine around 25-26 weeks.... with two, i look like a snake that swallowed a watermelon, so i'm opting for sooner just so i'm a little more comfortable and before any swelling kicks in.

• Options

imageBreezie17:
    I am maternity/newborn/child/family photographer and YES, 26 weeks is way too early.  I do them only between 32-36 weeks.  I just did my sister's maternity pics 2 weekends ago and she was 35 weeks, the perfect size.  If you click on my blog down at the bottom, you can see she actually looks pregnant and not just chubby.  I recommend waiting. 

Holy bojangles. Your sis is 35 weeks in those pics? I am 24 weeks and I am bigger than her. I am not kidding.

Bro, but look how many ants are on this trash can...
    Zach Rance 4 President

• Options
    imageRogue Lily:

imageBreezie17:

Holy bojangles. Your sis is 35 weeks in those pics? I am 24 weeks and I am bigger than her. I am not kidding.

She is HUGE in real life (way bigger than I was at 36 weeks).  This is why we recommend waiting to take pictures until this timeframe...otherwise you just look a little chubby.  Especially in clothes! 

• Options
    imageBreezie17:
    imageRogue Lily:

imageBreezie17:

She is HUGE in real life (way bigger than I was at 36 weeks).  This is why we recommend waiting to take pictures until this timeframe...otherwise you just look a little chubby.  Especially in clothes! 

Trust me, I do not just look a little chubby.

Zach Rance 4 President

• Options

imageBreezie17:

Thanks for your feedback. I ran all of this by my photog too, so I'll see what he says. But I have a feeling I'm going to be making that 3rd trip home at some point. Bleh.

• Options
    imageRogue Lily:
    imageBreezie17:
    imageRogue Lily:

imageBreezie17:

I am not saying you look a little chubby....however, in pictures, the belly often just doesn't appear the size it is in real life.  This is just the facts, otherwise you would NOT see photographers saying they only do maternity images during the 3rd trimester.  You may look big IRL, but in pictures, it just wouldn't show, especially at 24 weeks.  My sister is HUGE, looks like she is gonna pop and she looks like she has this perfect, tiny belly in her images.  You seem to not like my answers, but I do this for a living and I promise you it's true.  Sorry!

• Options
    Personally, I think 26 wks is too early.  I am almost 25 wks and I am nowhere near as pregnant-looking as I thought I'd be at this point.  I would either just try to squeeze in the shoot over your shower weekend, or make the trip home during your 30th wk.  
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    imageBreezie17:
    imageRogue Lily:
    imageBreezie17:
    imageRogue Lily:

imageBreezie17:

I am not saying you look a little chubby....however, in pictures, the belly often just doesn't appear the size it is in real life.  This is just the facts, otherwise you would NOT see photographers saying they only do maternity images during the 3rd trimester.  You may look big IRL, but in pictures, it just wouldn't show, especially at 24 weeks.  My sister is HUGE, looks like she is gonna pop and she looks like she has this perfect, tiny belly in her images.  You seem to not like my answers, but I do this for a living and I promise you it's true.  Sorry!

Sorry, I didn't mean to seem offended. I am not at all. I agree 24 weeks is too early for maternity pictures, but there is no way I would be comfortable being photographed at 35 weeks. I already feel like a fat hog! 

Zach Rance 4 President

• Options
    ablouablou member
    I think it all depends on how awesomely pregnant looking you want to be!"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageBreezie17:

I LOVE your pictures...I wish you were in NYC!

• Options
    Well, I'm doing mine at 25 weeks - though I don't have much of a choice as we want to do them in Vegas and that is when we will be there.  I also don't care if they are just maternity-ish as we just wanted some pics on our anniversary.  If you are really just wanting belly-type shots waiting is better, if you really don't care then have at it whenever!  I have found that what you wear also seems to influence significantly whether you look chubby or pregnant - both in photos and real life.  Have fun either way - don't make an extra trip if it is stressful and takes the fun out of it!
    www.mommypoints.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"