Working Moms
Options

Need advice about applying for a new job

Hi ladies, I posted this on the 9 to 5 board, but also wanted to get your advice here.

I found a great new job to apply for.  I feel that I have all of the qualifications and it's with an organization I've always wanted to work with.  So last night I spent hours working on my resume and cover letter and then went to send it in.  The job posting is on the organization's website and for all jobs they ask you to 'apply' online.  So I filled out the form they asked to be filled out and attached my resume as they also asked.  However I was surprised to find that there was no way I could see to attach a cover letter.  I was bummed because I spent over an hour on it and I think it really sells my qualifications for the position.  

So my question for all of you is do you think I should:

1) not worry about sending in a cover letter -they didn't ask for one or provide a way to send it in, so maybe they don't want it?

2) Send a hardcopy of resume AND cover letter attn to the appropriate person?  (e-mailing it directly to them isn't an option as their website lists the names of people and phone numbers but no e-mails.)

3) Send a hardcopy of resume AND cover letter attn to the appropriate person AND also include a second 'letter' stating that I am very interested in the job, followed their instructions for applying online, but also wanted to send in my cover letter....(don't know quite how I'd word that)?

4) Since I DO have a phone number for the person the job is working under, I could call that person directly expressing my interest, making sure they got my resume, and asking if there is a way I can send my cover letter?  This would be my first choice but I'm hesitant because I there is not a phone number listed on the job description (though it also does not say 'no phone calls' or anything.  There is a general # listed on the homepage of the website, but not the supervisors direct number.  The job description says which Director will be supervising the position and I have other paperwork from the organization with that Director's phone number on it (DH and I are actually already 'members' of the organization so we get mailings).  So I DO have that Directors phone number, but only kind of a result of my own detective work....  and therefore I don't know if it would be 'annoying' for me to call. 

5) Something else?

I'm driving myself nuts here because I really really really want a shot at this job!  I know I'm a great candidate -and it's rare I feel this confident about my qualifications.....

Thank you all so much for your advice!

Re: Need advice about applying for a new job

• Options
    I think that I would go with #2. Go ahead and do all the online required things and then send your resume and cover letter in addition. This way, several different people may get to view your resume and if they consider you for the position, they will surely take it into consideration that you sent your resume to multiple people and they would also have your cover letter on hand to review. That is my opinion but I'm curious to see what someone who works in HR would say.
  • Options
    are you attaching the resume as a word doc?  If so, I would put the cover letter in the same doc and attach it online.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMeg41208:
    are you attaching the resume as a word doc?  If so, I would put the cover letter in the same doc and attach it online.

I agree.  My organization is all online (though they do offer space for a cover letter in the process) and we don't accept any paper apps anymore.  I think HR just trashes them.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageMeg41208:

Ditto this. I've done this before when the online system didn't allow for a separate cover letter. That said, I would also call and follow up maybe later in the week to make sure they got everything, restate your interest, and throw in some quick reasons why you would be perfect for the job.

My experience with online systems is that they get way more applicants than they know what to do with, so a follow up phone can wouldn't hurt either way.

• Options

I'm the person reading those applications and we normally expect to find 'junk' with online submissions i.e. a teacher wanting to work as a nurse, or an english major applying for a job as an engineer, etc.  that said, i only look at cover letters if i'm trying to answer a question - if there's a gap (between jobs) i.e. took a year off for raising kid, etc. but if i'm curious enough, i'll just call the person.  in most cases, a cover letter just tells me why you think you're right for the job and most of them are only slightly tailored to fit the role. 

Here's my recommendation for hte best way to pull yourself to the top of every pile:  call me - track me down and call me.  Schmooze with my team/admins anyone that you can and leave a voicemail for me or shoot me an email (don't include your resume or cover letter, although your cover letter can be dressed down to point out exactly why you're the perfect fit in an email to me).  The goal is to get across to me that you're going to solve all my problems for this search.  I don't have to look any further.  Just be sure to say your name clearly, the role that you're interested in and a return contact info.  I'll pull it and look myself - that usually grabs my attention.

Hope that helps!  We dont' want everyone doing this, b/c it's a huge waste of our time when people are applying for things that they're not even close for. But those that are great - we're happy to hear from.

Let us know!

Mary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"