Detroit Babies
Options

Hello + Question

Hi Everyone,

This is my first visit to The Bump boards and I am excited to see a lot of familiar faces from my wedding planning days on The Knot!  My husband have been married two years and we are planning to start trying for a baby in a few months.  Yay :)

What would you recommend for a prenatal vitamin, and how far in advance do you normally start taking this?  I know the key ingredients / amounts that I should be taking, but wondering if there is an all-in-one brand that I should look into?  And if it doesn't taste gawd-awful, that would be great!

Thanks!

Re: Hello + Question

• Options

I took folic acid for 6 months before getting pg. Than when I got pg I started taking target brand PNVs (prenatals). My doctor is fine with them also and they are really cheap! I don't even taste them.

Good luck with the trying! I remember you from the knot!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My ob wrote me a scrip for one  6 months before we were ttc.  Folic acid is important to have before you ttc.  I took natatab. They do taste awful and does upset your stomach.  I found if I took it with orange juice it was better.  Some people take them at night.  you have to figure out what works for you.  I have no recommendations for over the counter prenatal vitamins.  good luck.
    image Sandy RIP 1-11-09 imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I just took the Target brand based on countless recommendations from the babies on the brain board.  I never had problems with them and that was one of the reasons I went with that- many people who were sick on other vitamins did well on that brand.  Next time around, I plan to ask my doctor for a prescription.  They didn't offer it at the time, but Meijer now offers free prescription prenatals. 

As far as when to take it, start now.  There's no harm in taking them, plus it's good to get in the habit. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I too took the Target brand and had no problems.  I started the vitamins once we made the decision to TTC.  FYI- I heard from a friend that the free prenatals that Meijers offers are ones without DHA.
  • Options
    Hi!  I take prenatal plus and they are free from Meijer (if you have a perscription).  I didn't start taking them until I was pregnant (around 4 weeks along), but I would start taking them as soon as you start trying.  These don't really have a taste.  I take them right before bed. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I take Nature's Made Prenatal Vitamin found in most drugstores. It has all of the recommended ingredients/amounts and it doesn't have any taste to it. I started taking this vitamin when we started TTC.
  • Options

Welcome!

I take Duet DHA and love them. I had a lot of trouble with other PNV's causing constipation. I tried like 6 different kinds before settling on the Duet. It's a duel pack, and I take them before bed. Good Luck!

• Options
    My Dr. told me take Women's One A Day. After I got prengnat I started PNV.  Some made me sick.  I ended up with a generic brand of Natatab I think.  I can't remember.  I still take it, but I pay no attention :)  Good luck TTC!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options

I take the Prenatal Plus free from Meijer.

Though I have to ask - what is DHA? 

I take mine in the morning with my breakfast.  I do get an after-taste a bit, but, it's not so bad.  I never thought about taking them before bed, but, that's probably a good idea to avoid that! 

• Options
    I started taking mine in February - even though I wasn't planning on TTC 'til May.  My doctor really pushes to take them as soon as possible, but, I imagine every doctor is different when it comes to that.
  • Options

Liz468,

DHA is omega-3 fatty acid, it is supposed to be good for brain development. I take fish oil daily which is rich in omega-3 fatty acids just because I am not good in eating healthy all the time and getting my nutrients from the food. I think salmon and walnuts have lots of omega-3 fatty acids in them.

• Options

imagetroy_love:
    I too took the Target brand and had no problems.  I started the vitamins once we made the decision to TTC.  FYI- I heard from a friend that the free prenatals that Meijers offers are ones without DHA.

This is true. My script is for the Duet ones with DHA and they weren't free ... but with my insurance were only $4 anyway. When I went to see the OB for the first time (for lack of a period) they gave me a whole bunch of sample packs of different vitamins, about 2 months worth, I think. I still have a few days left before I have to start using my script. I take the rest of my meds at lunch time, so I take the vitamins before bed. I think it would be too much all at once.

Good luck! And I remember you from the Knot too :)

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

• Options
    We met with an ob/gyn for a pre-conception meeting awhile ago (in order to calm down my freaked out H, haha), and he wasn't really gung-ho on prenatal vitamins while TTC *if* the woman is already taking a daily multi-vitamin (a lot of them have 100% folic acid) and eating a healthy diet, not drinking, not smoking, etc. He did say they were a good idea during the first trimester, though. Usually you have to get a script for them (what I did), but I think there are some OTC brands. 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  I think I'll look into the Target brand first.  It looks like I have a whole new set of acronyms to figure out as well!  TTC...trying to conceive? 
  • Options

imageMrs.Kat&Rich:
    Thanks ladies!  I think I'll look into the Target brand first.  It looks like I have a whole new set of acronyms to figure out as well!  TTC...trying to conceive? 

Yes . . . trying to conceive :)

I'm pretty sure there is a glossary somewhere that tells you all the acronyms. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"