LGBT Parenting
Options

Women's Clinic or Fertility Center?

My partner and I are at the beginning stages of this process and we just realized that our insurance will cover our doctor visits. Prior to realizing this we were planning to go to a grassroots women's health clinic to help with insemination. How that we can get coverage we are considering going to a fertility clinic.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing? Do you have an opinion either way?

Thanks!!!

Re: Women's Clinic or Fertility Center?

• Options

I don't have any experience with a women's clinic, so I can't speak to that. We did opt to start with a reproductive endocrinologist (RE) rather with my regular obgyn (who also could have done IUIs) because the obgyn didn't regularly monitor people who were on meds and the RE did (and we knew we would need meds because I don't ovulate on my own).

Given our ages (I am 31 and my wife is in her 40s), we wanted to be fairly aggressive with treatment. My perception is that REs are sometimes more aggressive than women's clinics, but I'm sure it varies and again I have no direct experience. Good luck with whatever you decide!

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • Options

Ditto thiswillbe. I have no experience with a Women's Clinic but have the impression they can be less agressive with treatment plans.  We chose an RE since our insurance covers it and there is a wonderful doctor right here in town. 

Why don't you make a consultation appt at both places and see which feels right for you?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Its all about what "feels right" to you.  We are going through a midwife practice which sounds similar to your Women's Clinic and have had a great experience there - its ideologically different from seeing an RE because they prefer to keep the process as "natural" as possible and at least start with the assumption that there won't be any issues getting pg.  My wife and I are generally very natural, no meds type people (we see a holistic family doc for our pcp) so it was the right first step for us. 

But, i have to reiterate that there is no right or wrong choice - its all about what is best for you.

• Options

If you don't know already, find out exactly what your insurance will cover - many insurance plans don't cover inseminations or other treatments until you've been trying to get pregnant for 6-12 months on your own with no results, or they will only cover some costs.  I say this because Fertility Clinics are generally more expensive.

I will be starting inseminations next month at a midwife practice, which is probably comparable to the women's clinic you mention.  The cost to do the exact same procedure that I will be doing at the midwife's would cost twice as much at the local fertility clinic.

As pp's said, fertility clinics are generally more aggressive and have more available to you in the form of fertility drugs and monitoring.

For me, I chose to start with the midwife's office due to the price (my insurance won't cover anything), and the more natural approach.  I have no known preexisting condition that should make ttc a problem, and would like to try to get pregnant without the drugs.

It's definitely a personal choice, and Two's idea of having a consulation at both places to see which you like better is a great idea.  That would allow you to get a good feel of each place's procedures and philosophies.

Good luck, and welcome to the board!

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. We have an appointment at the fertility center on the 3rd and we have visited the women's clinic so we just need to decide which option to choose. Either way, I think money will probably be the deciding factor. I am just thankful that our insurance will be providing some coverage!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"