New York Babies
Options

NYC Hospitals with Private Rooms at No Additiional Cost

Ok, so I have a very nice OB/GYN and I got her on referral from a good friend who recently had her baby.  Anyway, this Dr is excellent and is affiliated with St. Luke's Roosevelt.  When my friend delivered, our dr was not on call so another practioner delivered her baby.  She delivered in the birth room and then returned to her shared room.  St. L's charges $800 that you must pay on a cc prior to birth for the private room. 

Now, I like St. Luke's but I want a private room at hopefully minimal to low cost. Since our Dr didn't even deliver my friend's baby and you usually pick a hospital based on where you're dr is affiliated, do you think I can decide to have the baby at another NYC hospital that has private rooms at no little to no additional costs?  And what about my dr?  Seems like a 50% chance that she won't be there at the birth anyway.  What do you think?  Confused....

Re: NYC Hospitals with Private Rooms at No Additiional Cost

• Options
    I know that some hospitals in Long Island are a little cheaper... 500.00 a day for a private room but i think thats still too expensive especially if your having a vaginal birth and you're only there for 2 days.. my last pregnancy 5 years ago i shared a room and i met a great woman that im still friends with.. the thing about the Dr not being there is ridiculous! i would raise hell for that.. you can always go to a practice where there are multiple Dr's so at least you know one of them is guaranteed to be there. 
  • Options

I'm not sure you're going to find a private room for free in NYC.  I delivered at NYU and was a little nervous about sharing a room, but it was fine.  Like pp said, I was there a short time and didn't feel like it was worth the extra money.

As far as your OB, you need to find out if your doc isn't available, who will deliver the baby.  In my practice, there are 4 OBs.  Whoever is on call when you go into labor is the person who delivers the baby.  We made sure that we visited with each of the docs beforehand to meet them and make sure we were comfortable with them.  My OB didn't deliver our baby, but the OB who did was awesome!  We had met with her 3 weeks before so I felt comfortable.  If you like your OB, I would stick with them.  I didn't want a total stranger delivering my baby.  That would be more important to me than the private room.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Columbia Presbyterian offers a "Stork Room" for $400 a night.  I would have loved a private room when I delivered here since my roommate sucked but when you think about it, it's only 2 day in you deliver vaginally so it's not that bad. 
  • Options
    I know New Yok Methodist private rooms go for 100 a night and their on a first come first serve.
  • Options
    No way and I sharing a room... I am getting the private room as my push gift. Its 300 a night at St. Vincent's
  • Options
    They just aren't free in NYC--which sucks, because it seems like everywhere else in the U.S. they come standard.  We ponied up for a private room at NYP (to the tune of $600/day) but it was kind of worth it--I also had a c-section, so that makes a difference.  If it's important to you, I say pay up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"