Breastfeeding
Options

Who else gets teeth marks when nursing a toddler?

DD has been leaving deep painful teeth marks on my nipples for over 6 months now.  No amount of relatching helps.  I can remind her to be gentle before nursing, while nursing, after nursing... nothing helps. 

I've actually started trying to gently wean her because of this.  I was originally planning to let her self wean.  We're down to only nursing in the morning, although she does still ask to nurse almost every night.

I had a random thought this morning.  What if I used a nipple shield?  I've never used on in the past, so I don't really know much about how they work.  Would it make it impossible for her to bite?  At this point I don't even care if it would cause her to wean.  I just can't keep nursing her when it's so painful/annoying/uncomfortable the entire time.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
Emmeline Grace 03.27.13

Re: Who else gets teeth marks when nursing a toddler?

• Options

My DD (22 months) does leave teeth marks, but they are typically not painful.  It's more where they were resting on me, not that they were digging into me.  Once in awhile it will be painful, usually because she has a strange latch and is sick or teething so I'm at my wits end/trying to sleep/just wanting her to go to sleep so I don't relatch and then I figure out later that it might have helped.

So, I don't have any specific advice on lessening the teeth marks.

I don't know about the nipple shield--I've never used one so I don't know what they're all about.

Random thoughts:  

could you get her to wear a mouth guard over her top teeth to nurse? I have no idea if that's even feasible (like, could she still physically nurse), let alone would she do it. maybe if that's the only way she could nurse, she would.  I bet it would put a damper on things though, and maybe not where you want to go for a finish to your nursing relationship.

would she accept a substitute of putting her hand on your breast rather than nursing, when she asks to?  or just putting her mouth on the side of your breast?  I've heard some moms who say this helps their DCs while in the weaning process or after weaning, when they really want to nurse.

Lately, when it's the middle of the night and I've had it with nursing, my DD has accepted if I just let her put her hands in my armpits and fiddle, which is what she likes do do while nursing.  Is there some fiddling thing your DD does while nursing, that she would accept as a substitute?

Have you tried lubing your nipples with some lansinoh, to see if that lessens the painful teeth marks?  maybe if they slid around a bit they wouldn't have time to dig.

Have you read "How Weaning Happens"?  Some great tips for gentle weaning techniques (which you've probably already been applying to get down to the one session).  Maybe you'd find something in there that feels right.

Way to go on bfing your peanut so long. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

wow. you two are amazing to me... my DS is currently drooling up a storm and I'm scared to think he might be teething already. I always said teeth were the deal breaker for me, but at this age I'd like to still try to nurse. 

just wanted to give kudos to you brave women nursing toddlers with full sets of teeth...  you have my total admiration.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Have you tried holding her in different positions?  I have been having the same issues with my DD - not biting, but just the teeth being there are digging in and making me sore.  I've found that if I switch to something that rotates her mouth to a different area it helps a lot (i.e., usually we sit in the rocker and I do the cradle hold, but then I moved to the couch and did football hold).  It made a HUGE difference and gave the original area a chance to heal before I switched back.  GL!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"