Alaska Babies
Options

babywearing w/toddler

DD is over 25 pounds & 32" tall now....and doesn't much like to be carried around. But, there are times when it would be nice. The problem is, I can no longer get her in by myself (she's not tiny!). I'd love to be able to wear her on my back, but I know that would be nearly impossible to do if DH or someone else isn't around.  All we have right now is a Moby. Any suggestions?

I'd especially like to know because I'll be flying alone with her in a couple weeks and I'd rather not deal with a stroller.

Re: babywearing w/toddler

• Options
    Have you tried the Hike hold or on the hip both you can do with the moby
    CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

imageclynn58:
    Have you tried the Hike hold or on the hip both you can do with the moby

I haven't. I'll have to give it a try.

Part of the problem is...she's already 1/2 my height (I'm a short 5'3")!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

What about something with more structure like an Ergo or BabyHawk? I know that BabyHawk makes a toddler version also. My BabyHawk can handle up to 40 pounds (whether or not I can, is another story).

I don't have a toddler, but I am also 5'3'' and DS is a beefcake. I started to have a really difficult time with my K'tan just because he is so heavy. It is a lot easier to get DS in and out of my BabyHawk it just took some practice.

• Options
    I'm 5'2" so I can imagine your situation.  I haven't tried it yet, but from what I understand the Ergo might work well if you carry her piggy back...?
  • Options

We stopped wearing around 19 months.  DD is very independent and LOVES to walk.  (Anyone who says that kids resulting from APing are clingy are dead wrong in our case.  ;)

We were using our Ergo till the end.  Mostly on the front.  But also on our backs for longer trips out.  (ie, hiking.)  There is an instructional video on their website showing you how to load a child on to your back.  Once your little one 'gets it' and starts 'working with you' it's easy to get them on your back.  GL!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• Options
    I'd get a mei tai (like the baby hawk) or a soft structured carrier (like the ergo or beco) or a woven (not moby stretchy) wrap.  Any of those would work well for a back carry (or a front or hip carry) and be MUCH more supportive than the moby.  And you can definitely do a back carry on your own with a little practice.  Check out thebabywearer.com - lots of great info and how tos for all sort of carriers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"