Alaska Babies

where does your LO nap during the day?

for the most part, M&D are still napping between most feedings.  they are relatively on the same sched as far as when they cue to eat or sleep.  and for 90% of naps, i will wear one (or occasionally both) of them.  wearing both is difficult, both b/c they wake e/o up and b/c my back can't take long double-wearings.

so it's always a Q of where the non-worn baby will nap.  right now M is asleep in the swing (which he loves) while D is being worn.  but it is getting more and more difficult for them to get good sleep down here in the living room.  the worn baby usually sleeps fine, it's the other who wakes easily with a creak of the floor or the phone ringing.  so i feel like they need a more quiet space, but i'm not sure if they would like/sleep in their cribs, as they've never been in them at all at this point.  maybe the bed, but we don't have bedrails yet...

anyway, just thought i'd see what others do, bearing in mind that of course it's different with two.  TIA!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

Our successful cycle was IVF #2: Microdose Lupron Flare Protocol - 2 beautiful blasts transferred.

email me: gretchela@hotmail.com

Re: where does your LO nap during the day?

• DS naps either in his bassinet or in our bed, wherever I can get him down (he will only fall asleep if rocked or nursed). I'm trying to establish the habit for later on down the road.

He's still swaddled and doesn't roll back to front yet, so I'm not worried about bedrails at the moment. And I never let him sleep without the monitor on him, so I feel ok about it for now. He will sleep if worn, but he really sleeps best when he's motionless, so I only do that for naps if he just won't go down any other way. He's a terrible sleeper, so I have to take advantage of every little second I can get out of him.

• This would be hard with two! Jude naps in the sling or sometimes if I have time to just sit and he falls asleep nursing I will sit and hold him. He will also sleep in the bed if I take a nap with him and sometimes falls asleep in the swing. At daycare he sleeps in his crib or the vibrating chair.
  • Loading the player...
  • I guess my answer isn't helpful because I'm not sure how it would work with two...

Kiddo generally at least starts naps while I'm wearing him.  I'll leave him wrapped if I want to make sure he gets a long nap.  He is getting better though at staying down for a longer nap if I put him down in the co-sleeper once he's asleep.  Sometimes he nurses to sleep and I just leave him on the bed.  I'm usually in the room where he is napping (allegedly working!) so I don't worry about him rolling off.

Maybe try the cribs?  A white noise machine might help too - kiddo is getting pretty hooked on ocean sounds.  I like that it's becoming a "sleep" cue for him though.

• At that age, my daughter napped in bed (and I tried to nap with her).  We didn't get bedrails until closer to 6 months, I think.
  • Up until very recently DD required a lot of, erm, restraint.  She would only nap consistently when we wore her in the Ergo and later on in the carseat.  She's taken a handful of stroller naps while out.  And now she'll *finally* fall asleep in our bed.  (With us right there, of course.  I often end up passing out, too.) 

She has *never ever ever* napped in her bassinet, crib or toddler bed.  Don't think she ever will.  

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• I will admit this here since you all won't think I'm a freak.

When DS was really little, say, under three months old, he would only nap in my arms.  I spent every afternoon of my maternity leave rocking him for hours while he slept.  I really didn't mind it.  I basically watched TLC all day.  Once in a blue moon, he would nap in his bassinet or in the swing, but that was very rare.  I tried sometimes to wear him so I could get some things done, but that didn't always work, either.

Once he started daycare and he moved to his crib at night, he began to nap in his crib at home during the day more often.  Still, if he had a really hard time going down for a nap, I'd just take a nap with him, getting him to sleep by BFing in my bed.  We did this until about 7 month or so, when he stopped sleeping with me.

He always naps in his crib now.  He's very independent!  (And one year old tomorrow!)

Gretchen, I don't know what I would have done with twins if they both were like DS!  Stick out tongue

• I too would only admit this here...  DD is 10 mos old & I still wear her or hold her for naps sometimes.  Otherwise she naps in bed & I just nest, read, watch tv, or nap next to her.

Gretchen, you have my utmost respect & admiration for being a mom of twins! 

• My LO nurses to sleep a lot.  If I don't have anything that I need to do, a lot of times I'll just sit and hold him.  If I can't just sit with him, I put him down once he's asleep in the bassinette in our living room, where he's close and I can hear him if he needs me.  If I'm wearing him and he falls asleep (which is pretty much every time I wear him, at this point), I just leave him in the wrap.

Regarding your comment about your LO needing a quieter place to nap: I am of the mind that letting them get used to the everyday noise of the household might help them get used to the regular noise level; it becomes white noise, of sorts.  I am using this theory with my LO, and it seems to be working, so far.

• thanks so much for your replies!  i forgot to add that i used to often nurse them down for naps on my big nursing pillow (tandem) and then i would sit there with the pillow strapped to me for as long as they both wanted to sleep ;)  it was fine by me, i loved watching them sleep, and i would nest or watch TV sometimes.  but now it is rare that they will both fall asleep nursing at the same exact time.  usually M falls asleep and D wakes him up by "talking" loudly to me when she's done nursing (it's the cutest thing, she looks up at me with her big open mouth smile and sort of cackles and meows for a while haha ;) 

anyway, it's helped to hear your responses.  i may give the bed another try or just keep doing what we're doing for now... at least one of them gets a restful nap each time... :-/

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

Our successful cycle was IVF #2: Microdose Lupron Flare Protocol - 2 beautiful blasts transferred.

email me: gretchela@hotmail.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"