Baby Names

Help me spell Maya

I want the name to be pronounced like Maya Angelou's name is, not like May-A.  How would you pronounce Maya, and do you have any other common suggestions for spelling that you would for sure pronounce "May-yah'?

Re: Help me spell Maya

• My wedding photographers name is Myah, and she is the cutest sweetest person ever.. and i think it's obvious how it's pronounced!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am so confused. People would actually say May-a? I would always pronounce Maya as May-yah and think most people would. I would spell it Maya.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I pronounce Maya Mah-yah, with short As. I thought this was the standard pronounciation, and that Maya Angelou used this standard pronounciation. I could be wrong, though.

I can't think of any common spelling for may-yah. - Mia is Mee-uh (or, rarely, Mah-yah) to me.

2012 Races: Mar 24: Great Human Race 5K. April 28: 5K for Fitness
  • Maya is pronounced May-ah. I can't imagine it being pronounced wrong.
  • I'm totally confused.  I pronounce Maya as MY-uh. 
  • I've never heard it pronounced MAY-uh.  Mia would be MEE-uh to me.  I think Maya and Mya would both be MY-uh.  Myah works too. 

• Agree with PP, I thought Maya was pronounced My-uh.

I know babies with the name My-uh and they spell it Maya--I think that is the common spelling.

• imageOctoberCAPA:
    ??I think Maya and Mya would both be MY-uh. ?

How can May be pronounced my? You're ignoring the "a".

• Every student Maya I've ever had pronounced it My-ah. Same with that show, Maya the Bee, and my mom's friend's daughter 20 years ago. I always thought that's how you pronounce it and that's the typical spelling of it. All the other spellings just look weird IMO. And I've never heard it pronounced May-ah..?
    CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • found this:

The girl's name Maya ma-ya is pronounced MYE-ah. It is of Spanish, Hindi and Russian origin. In Spanish, short form of Amalia. In Hindi, from Sanskrit, meaning "dream, illusion". In Russian, a form of Mary. A star constellation. See also Mai.

Maya has 3 variant forms: Maiya, Miah and Miya.

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • imageFutureMrs.Steen:

imageOctoberCAPA:
      I think Maya and Mya would both be MY-uh.  

Actually, I agree with this, I said it wrong in my post above. I would always say 'My-uh' for Maya. 

• maya is maya. i would never pronounce it may-a. 
  • imageOctoberCAPA:

I've never heard it pronounced MAY-uh.  Mia would be MEE-uh to me.  I think Maya and Mya would both be MY-uh.  Myah works too. 

this, this and this.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageFutureMrs.Steen:

imageOctoberCAPA:

Lots of names are typically/traditionally pronounced in ways that ignore letters, as are lots of other words in the English language. 

• imageandrea922:
    I am so confused. People would actually say May-a? I would always pronounce Maya as May-yah and think most people would. I would spell it Maya.

This.  And if they say it incorrectly, they need help.

• erinmserinms member
    imagettmccoot:
    imageOctoberCAPA:

I've never heard it pronounced MAY-uh.? Mia would be MEE-uh to me.? I think Maya and Mya would both be MY-uh.? Myah works too.?

this, this and this.

Agreed, but I would stick to spelling it Maya.?

• imageFutureMrs.Steen:

imageOctoberCAPA:

You guys are cracking me up. Are you not familiar with an entire line of indigenous people who live in Central America called the Maya? Pronounced MY-uh. That's how they pronounce it. HELLOOOOO!!!!! 

Mya and Mia would both be Mee-ah to me, and I don't know how anyone would spell May-ah, but I've never heard of that as a name. 

• imagewheelenl:
    imageFutureMrs.Steen:

imageOctoberCAPA:

You guys are cracking me up. Are you not familiar with an entire line of indigenous people who live in Central America called the Maya? Pronounced MY-uh. That's how they pronounce it. HELLOOOOO!!!!! 

Mya and Mia would both be Mee-ah to me, and I don't know how anyone would spell May-ah, but I've never heard of that as a name. 

LMAO!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageOctoberCAPA:
    I'm totally confused.  I pronounce Maya as MY-uh. 

This.

• imageshanBmcg:

You guys are cracking me up. Are you not familiar with an entire line of indigenous people who live in Central America called the Maya? Pronounced MY-uh. That's how they pronounce it. HELLOOOOO!!!!!?

This is true. You don't have to be so rude about it. ?

• I actually know someone named Maya and it is pronounced May-ah. I also know a Maya that is pronounced My-ah. Now that I've met two people who pronounce it two different ways, I am always very confused with how to pronounce this name.In order to spell it how you want it to be pronounced, I like the other poster's suggestion of using Myah.
  • This is one of our top names, and we are thinking of spelling it Maia.  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageOctoberCAPA:
    I'm totally confused.  I pronounce Maya as MY-uh. 

this, word for word.

• My sister is Mya, pronounced My-uh

Sometimes she gets Me-uh, but for the most part people get it right 

• My daughter's name is Maya (my-uh) and we mostly get it pronounced right.  Our doctor's office receptionist ALWAYS says may-ah but I don't care really.  Most people say it right.  I had the same question/post when we were considering the name but didn't want to spell it too weird.....

Hope this helps!

• I personally would never have thought to pronounce Maya, May-a.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"