1st Trimester
Options

Medically Proven? ... Redheads have NO tolerance for pain?

Ok, has anyone heard of this?  I'm a redhead who, for my entire life, has had no tolerance for pain.  Whenever I go to the dentist I have to get 3 or 4 times what they give to "normal" people.  And whenever I get hurt, I nearly passout.  I once stubbed my toe on the leg of my bed and we called 911 because I lost my vision and my limbs went numb.... my toe was totally fine.

Anyway, I'm completely afraid of labor and delivery and I'm now worried that the drugs won't work.

Grateful for any advice or info.

Hugs.

Re: Medically Proven? ... Redheads have NO tolerance for pain?

• Options

Here's some info from Wiki:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hair#Sensitivity_to_pain_and_injury

I'm sure it has more to do with your level of pain tolerance than anything genetic with red heads.

CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

As a redhead I don't think this is true at all. I'm covered in tattoos so I like to think I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. I've heard all those old wives tales but I wouldn't take much stock in them. I think it depends on the individual how much you bleed and how much you feel pain. When I got my biggest tat I barely bled at all and my husband who has brown hair bled through his shirt when he got one on his back.

Like I said...it depends on the individual.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My best friend is a redhead, and she has a high tolerance for pain.  She had both her babies natural.

She did say when she went in for her first, they told her redheads tear more easily.  I'm not sure if this is true or not. 

I have a low pain tolerance, so I can sympathize with you.  (I'm brunette though!)

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am a redhead and I have to say I don't think this is true. ?Everyone in my family has red hair too. ?

I have a high tolerance to pain. ?The only things I can say is we have very sensitive skin, cannot tan, and bleed alot.

?

?

• Options

There was a NY Times article about 7 or so years ago about a study that confirmed redheads need more anesthesia then everyone else.  Here's a link to another synopsis of a study that relates to it:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/487261

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am sure an epi will work whether you are a red head or not.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Regardless of your hair color, it seems you have a low pain tolerance for all things pain related.  I'm pretty sure your tolerance for labor pain will be low too.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    well i have a really good friend who is a red head.  i'll ask her how her delivery was
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"