Upstate NY Babies
Options

Anyone have over supply issues?

I feel like I am the only person in the world with over supply issues.  There is very little info on what to do and even the lactation consultant at the hospital told me many women would love to have my problem and offered few suggestions.  I have so much milk, and such a forceful letdown, poor Brianna chokes and gaggs.  Then after she is done eating, she is vomiting a good portion of her feeding because it is too much too fast!  The vomiting is getting worse too.  I pump before feedings a couple times a day, and I use a shield from time to time to try to slow the flow.  The LC suggest nursing up hill, so that we are working against gravity.  But I just don't know how I would do that with a newborn.  I did also deal with this with Tyler, but with only one kid, it was easier to deal with.

Re: Anyone have over supply issues?

• Options

I had oversupply and overactive letdown for months.  You're right, there's not as much information about it, and I almost feel like some people think it's not a problem.  Like, how could having too much milk be a bad thing?

I tried nursing uphill, but it was really uncomfortable.  Nursing on your side can help, because they can let the milk drip out of their mouth.  And to be honest, the only thing that worked for me was pumping off an ounce or two before feeding- just enough to get through the letdown.  Rosie would still gag and cough, but it wasn't nearly as bad as it was without the pumping. 

Oh, and are you block feeding?  That also really, really helped.  I switched to giving only one side at a time very early on, which helped calm my supply.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"